HENGE - GET A WRIGGLE ON - REMIX COMP - WIN BD 1770 PRO HEADPHONES + IZOTOPE PLUGS!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

REMIX COMP TIME IS HERE AGAIN  happy-5

Producertech Members are summoned by the intergalactic beings known as HENGE, to remix their brand new track Get A Wriggle On: https://open.spotify.com/track/0LBQTWeDL6ihaQ6ZjM076J?si=e2ebe076b3b24ece 

First Place Prizes

• Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro Headphones

• iZotope Music Production Plugin Suite

• 1 Year of Loopcloud Pro Subscription 

• 1 Year of Producertech Membership

• Major Kudos!

Runners Up (2nd and 3rd place) Prizes

• 1 Plugin from the iZotope Music Production Plugin Suite (of your choosing)

• 1 Year of Producertech Membership

• 1000 Loopcloud Points 

• Major Kudos!

DOWNLOAD STEMS HERE: https://tinyurl.com/2p9e5as8 

Once your remix is done, upload it to your profile on this site and then paste a link to it on this thread... 

The shortlisted tracks will have live feedback from Producertech's Rob Jones and Henge band members in a livestream in May, in which the 3 winners will be chosen!

There is also the possibility of remixes being released by Henge in the future! 

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: 7th MAY 2023

BEST OF LUCK!!  alien alien-1 avatar

updated by @ptmembership: 08/13/23 05:28:53PM
FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Sadly I could not participate on the livestream yesterday, but I'm looking forward on this one. It's really another genre this time :-). I think it will be a tough one to remix but I'm glad for this opportunity.

Challenge accepted ;-)

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Damn it. I'm struggeling with the Tempo. At the beginning of the song it fits to 192 BPM but after roughly 20s it tends to drift away. Any advice on this?

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

I've not got around to importing the stems yet.  Are you using Ableton?  I know you can tweak warp markers to pull things into line, but I'm not sure how you'd do it in other DAWs.

Maybe cut the stems down into phases/loops?

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

I think we'll do some tutorials or a livestream this week working with the stems. From talking to Spor, I believe the tempo of the stems may not be consistent, so a real challenge indeed!! This could need manual warping/timestretching!

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

SOOO.... I was going to just do this for me. But, that's wrong. Here's the audio from the intro to the video, cleaned and scrubbed without all the background (ship) noise. The computerized voice suffers slightly but Zpor is much clearer. 48K, stereo, 24 bit .wav

Enjoy

https://community.producertech.com/betterledproductions/uploaded_audio/357/scrubbed-intro-for-get-your-wriggle-on

updated by @betterledproductions: 03/28/23 01:57:18AM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

Awesome! joyful-2 alien happy-5

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

Thanks @betterledproductions thats really helpful.  

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

@ptmembership - I look forwards to the tutorials. 

Ive been looking at Simon Shackleton's tutorials on remixing - they really helpful as well.  I'm struggling to find a bit of the track I can make into a "cornerstone" as he calls it; I really love the track, but finding it really difficult to find an extract that I can use to get a vibe.  Would be possible to have a livestream where you kick off with a remix - I really found this useful previously, so hope this will help me find some inspiration...  

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
last year
127 posts

Sure no worries @smillington there'll be a livestream in the next week or so. In the meantime I've just made a tutorial, which will go up tomorrow. It's some tips on making useful loops from the stems, as well as info about the tempo and time signature of the original. I actually ended up making a load of MIDI files in the process, including a complete playthrough! So, all of this will be available shortly. Then, I'll follow it up with a livestream shortly after....

Both the timing and tuning are complex on this one so it's a massive challenge, but of course you can always simplify. And I can help out with the chords/notes throughout with the imminent MIDI patterns so they should help!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

Members! You can now find the stems tutorial and MIDI patterns in the Bonus Tutorials and Downloads sections, respectively. Hope they help!

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

Thats a massive help -- thanks Rob 

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Yes thanks a lot. I've created all the "sub"-stems in case I'm allowed to upload them as a zip file I could share them with the community. I used the method Rob explained in his video and I applied it to the entire songs and all tracks, so it's complete. Just let me know if I can share them with the community.

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

Of course, feel free Paddy.... It saves people a lot of editing work at the end of the day! As long as you're happy to share...

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

The livestream is going to go into the harmony even more. I think that's the hardest aspect of this, working out what key to make your remix in. In some instances, C might work, in others Bb. In some, F... etc. Quite a few different options, so we'll provide a few different scenarios to help with that.

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Hello together,

I've uploaded all sub-stems here. Don't be confused by the wrong bar-assignment. I was not in the correct tempo when I've created them. So 6-Bar for example means 4-Bar. Sorry for that. Besides this everything is working fine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18objpDjl5fpi5OT4262VNpdAopLX3QHR&authuser=crymeariver33%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs

Have fun with it and good luck for the competition.

Kind Regards

Paddy

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

Hello people, this is my mix for the contest, I hope you like it. I did it fast because I have to start college next week and probably I won't have time to work on it later. See you!

Henge - Get A Wriggle On - Alv Martin Mix - Alvm | Producertech

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

Wow you definitely got a wriggle on with that @alvm.

Great track!

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

[quote="smillington"]

Wow you definitely got a wriggle on with that @alvm.

Great track!

[/quote] thank you mate! I'm happy you like it, it's an awesome track to work and I really enjoyed the process

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
218 posts

[quote="AlvM"]

Hello people, this is my mix for the contest, I hope you like it. I did it fast because I have to start college next week and probably I won't have time to work on it later. See you!

[/quote] Huge fan of this, Alv! I've loved your previous remix competition entries, but this one might be my fav so far. Nice constant evolution throughtout the song

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

[quote="TamlinSpeaks"]

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote] Huge fan of this, Alv! I've loved your previous remix competition entries, but this one might be my fav so far. Nice constant evolution throughtout the song

[/quote] thanks a lot!!

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

Was there a Phrygian video or am I crazy?

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

[quote="betterledproductions"]

Was there a Phrygian video or am I crazy?

[/quote]

In the bonus tutorial about the stems, the phrygian is mentioned (around 27.00 in the vid) as the bridge section is in that key (in F). The phrygian is all the white notes from E to E, but transposed into F (all of those notes up a semitone) makes a lot of black notes!

https://community.producertech.com/ptmembership/youtube/281/henge-remix-comp-stems-member-tut-editing-tempo-harmony-info

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote]

Nice work Alv! Great remix as always! joyful-2

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

[quote="admin"]

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote]

Nice work Alv! Great remix as always! joyful-2

[/quote] Thank you guys!

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote]

Nice remix. It really reminds me a bit on the Monkey Island Atmosphere. Very caribeean influence. Pretty cool.

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

[quote="FreethinkerInc"]

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote]

Nice remix. It really reminds me a bit on the Monkey Island Atmosphere. Very caribeean influence. Pretty cool.

[/quote]

Thank you mate! I did a song structure with the provided stems, I`m happy you like it! 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
218 posts

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of y'alls entries... there's something so satsifying about hearing other people's interpretations of a song :D

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

I'm in the realms of a 12" vinyl deep cut, where the track takes up most of one side. I need to shorten it, but I'm still not finished with my ideas I wanted to get in there. And, I'm lost in the settings of my CX-80 plugin, playing with sound.

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
last year
127 posts

Kind of quiet on here! Everyone getting on okay with their remixes??

jezharris
@jezharris
last year
18 posts

Just tweaking, should have it uploaded by Friday Rob. It is very quiet though thinking

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

Here's my entry, I went for a dub remix - I hope you like it:

https://community.producertech.com/smillington/uploaded_audio/359/get-a-wriggle-on-smillington-remix

Looking forwards to hearing everyone else's tracks..

updated by @smillington: 04/27/23 11:27:09PM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

Great work guys! smiling-1

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

Out of the desert, stumbles a man, dressed for desert survival. He stumbles and falls, dumping a bag. All of its contents scatter at your feet: one 1" reel-to-reel, an 8-track, a 12" LP at 33 1/3, two SONY MiniDisc's, a CDR, one SACD, and a recordable phonographic cone.

"From the deep desert, I bring you the Re-HENGEian MegaMENTATix!"

He falls forward into the sand. His body immediately crumbles to sand, merging with the desert.  

https://community.producertech.com/betterledproductions/uploaded_audio/361/the-desert-re-hengeian-megamentatix

I set myself an odd extra requirement... I envisioned something that might be recreated on stage as a concert megamix... meaning I needed to keep the original BPM, which turned out to be 96.69 BPM by my measure. Opinions are welcome! I look forward to the other submissions! And I'll sit back with a tall can of "Oh Shit, I should have thought of that," and enjoy.

(opens beer... "Yep... hearing way better than my complicated remix concept"

I appreciate you all. Thanks for listening to my attempt for this challenge! 

-Michael

updated by @betterledproductions: 04/29/23 07:51:49AM
betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

[quote="jezharris"]

Here's my Shake A Leg edit! 

https://community.producertech.com/jezharris/uploaded_audio/360/henge-get-a-wriggle-on-shake-a-leg-edit

[/quote]

That's some four-on-the-floor awesomeness... towards the likes of Jamiroquai. Well done! Disco is awesome. 

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

[quote="smillington"]

https://community.producertech.com/smillington/uploaded_audio/359/get-a-wriggle-on-smillington-remix

[/quote]

Love the dancing brass and great bass! Great job with placement in the mix. Glad you got use out of the cleaned intro! Glad someone else found a way to use it in a great way. Then it wasn't wasted time. 

I especially appreciate the the clean separation and.... focus on the dominate sound of the moment! Good understanding of balance.  

updated by @betterledproductions: 04/29/23 11:48:14PM
FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Hi guys,

finally I've managed to come with something up. It took me a while to figure it out, but thanks to Robs video contributions it was getting easier for me. I'm more of a "Minor"-Type :-), but I was getting used to B#Maj as well now.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://community.producertech.com/freethinkerinc/uploaded_audio/363/freethinkers-inc-remix-henge-get-a-wriggle-on-remix-comp

Good luck to everybody for the remix competition.

Warm regards

Paddy

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Great entries everyone!  I'm a sucker for a bit dub so double thumbs up to Smillington's track (reminded me of an old UB40 album; Present Arms In Dub)

Here's my entry: https://community.producertech.com/simon-unsigned/uploaded_audio/364/get-a-wriggle-on-sis-mix

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

Great work everyone so far. Just realised there are only 4 more days to go!! Better get cracking the rest of you....

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
last year
49 posts

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry. I tried to stay faithful to the completely bonkers nature of the original! Hope you like it :)

https://community.producertech.com/tone/uploaded_audio/365/henge-remix-comp-get-a-wriggle-on

ben m
ben m
@ben-m
last year
12 posts

Here's my 'Get A Wriggle On' remix, cheers!

Get A Wriggle On (Ben M Remix) - Ben M | Producertech

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
218 posts

[quote="smillington"]

[/quote]Love the dub remix! not enough of these. That bassline tho! like a nice mix of classic dub and dubstep. Subtle and heavy

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

RESULTS LIVE ANNOUNCEMENT - Monday 15th May 17.00 BST - JOIN ROB AND HENGE TO FIND OUT THE WINNERS! goofy-1 alien

https://community.producertech.com/livestreams

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

Great! will try to attend, I'm in the middle of everything but will try for sure!! great submissions all of them btw, loving  @Technic Tone's one and also @Jez Harris and @ben m's 

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

Thanks for the contest, and getting Henge. Be well

jezharris
@jezharris
last year
18 posts

Wow! can't believe I won this comp, my AKG headphones are literally on their last legs relieved looking forward to using some proper studio cans and checking out izotope!

I have found remixing to be by far the best way to learn Ableton alongside PT courses so thanks for the opportunity as always.

Thanks to Henge and Rob for the feedback and all the other top entries, Ben M's was up there for me.

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
last year
14 posts

Wow! again in the top 3! what can I say, I'm super happy, didn't have too much time to work on this remix but I think it's a cool one, and I agree with Henge and Rob's criteria, Jez's one is the best and I think it was too hard to find a winner because all are amazing in their own style and view. F.e. Sane`s one sounds great and the style is unique, also Tone's is superb for me, so..a great competition! congrats to all of us for the amazing productions!! I think that at the end of the journey this is the main idea of ProducerTech's school, to improve our knowledge and skills!!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
404 posts

happy-9 Yes massive congrats to the top 3! happy-9 Results for anyone who missed the stream were...

FIRST PLACE: JEZ

SECOND PLACE: BEN M

THIRD PLACE: ALV

Hard luck to Tone for missing out on the top 3 by 1 point!! But well done for being one of Henge's absolute favourites - the one they said brought them the most joy!

Well done everyone who entered too - great remixes all round and a very high quality shortlist of tracks that made it onto the feedback stream.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next assignment over the coming weeks....

smillington
@smillington
last year
99 posts

Great job folks. I really liked all your tracks especially Ben m's 

Great competition as always and it's nice to hear everyone upskilling each time 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
11 months ago
218 posts

Some seriously groovy tracks this round. Jez was a deserving winner though! Simple, effective and groovy!

jezharris
@jezharris
11 months ago
18 posts

[quote="TamlinSpeaks"]

Some seriously groovy tracks this round. Jez was a deserving winner though! Simple, effective and groovy!

[/quote] Ah thanks TS 🙏🏻 appreciate that. FFS talks in his remix tutorial about happy accidents, this one was born out of randomly slicing that simple chunk of distorted bass, it set the tempo and the groove, the rest flowed pretty quickly

updated by @jezharris: 05/23/23 04:37:16PM
jezharris
@jezharris
11 months ago
18 posts

I was pleased how the stutter effect turned out, I found a sweep sample and then just chopped it up instead of using plugins, deleting every other one and adding a delay 

updated by @jezharris: 05/23/23 04:38:30PM
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
11 months ago
218 posts

[quote="jezharris"]

I was pleased how the stutter effect turned out, I found a sweep sample and then just chopped it up instead of using plugins, deleting every other one and adding a delay 

[/quote]

That's a great idea - sounds like a cool, unique way to do soemthign that probs helped you bag the win!

Tags

Dislike 0