Accountability and Feedback Group

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts
Hi all - now the latest Remix comp has closed, it's time to get back to working on some original material!

One of the key things these comps have confirmed for me is that there's nothing like a deadline to get you focused.

I don't think I'm alone when I say finishing tracks is something I really struggle with. It's partly down to my skill level and getting the tracks sounding how I want. But I also believe that self-discipline and time management is a bigger factor in holding back my progress and improving my skills.

So with that in mind, I wanted to ask if there is anyone else in the members community who thinks they might benefit from joining a group who meet up (virtually via Zoom) on a regular basis to share their goals, issues and work in progress (and finished tracks!).

I think a 30 minute Zoom call, once a month to share what our short and long term goals are and discuss anything else related to making music would really help us to focus our studio time and be more productive, finishing more tracks.

Would anyone be interested in joining the group and/or have any questions/suggestions about how it might work best?

Cheers
Simon
updated by @simon-unsigned: 12/02/22 11:19:07AM
smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts
Hey simon. I can relate to everything you said here and think this is a great idea; would be great to chat with like minded folks - im in
NigelB
NigelB
@nigel
2 years ago
22 posts
Yes! Me too. Be great to chat and share ideas with each other. Let me know when and how to connect.....
FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
2 years ago
49 posts
I also like the idea, though my english presentation skills are not the best, but I could give it a try. So for me once a month would be good. Too often, it's for me not possible, because I have so many other Zooms on a weekly regular basis included the ones from Producertech.

So we could use either a Zoom or Jitsi Meeting to connect.

Just let me know, when you like to start.

Kind Regards
Paddy
simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts
Hi all - thanks for the response - that's great! I'll setup a Zoom meeting

How does the last Tuesday of the month at 6pm UK time work for everyone? So the first one will be Tuesday 29th November.

Cheers
Simon
smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts

[quote="simon unsigned"] Hi all - thanks for the response - that's great! I'll setup a Zoom meeting How does the last Tuesday of the month at 6pm UK time work for everyone? So the first one will be Tuesday 29th November. Cheers Simon [/quote]

Hey Simon, Im well up for this..

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 years ago
226 posts

Sounds great. I was in one on Facebook a few years ago and was pretty damn useful! Also helps you learn to really receive feedback

updated by @samuelclouston: 11/22/22 10:25:01AM
simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

Can't wait to kick things off!  Here's the Zoom call details - because it's a free account we're limited to 40 mins but I think that's a good thing to keep things concise.

For the first call, for those that want to, we can all spend 5 mins maximum to give a quick overview of our music making background and what are goals are (both short and long term).  I'll go first and see how it goes.

We can then go around everyone and confirm what we want to achieve before the next call and also raise any topics you would like to discuss or get advice on.

updated by @simon-unsigned: 11/23/22 02:52:55PM
simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

Hate to do this, but I’m going to have to reschedule the call.  Well, I say have to but the truth is I didn’t think ahead and it’s going to clash with the England World Cup game.

Apologies, but it is only once every 4 years sceptic

I’ll check the schedule for the next rounds and come back with a new date winking-1

NigelB
NigelB
@nigel
2 years ago
22 posts

:-) No worries! Looking forward to it....

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

How does next Monday 5th @ 6pm UK time suit everyone?

NigelB
NigelB
@nigel
2 years ago
22 posts

Fine with me thanks Simon

jafunk
@jafunk
2 years ago
9 posts

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who had a crack at the Ecstasy remix competition. I had a great time listening to all of your submissions, and I hope you enjoyed getting a chance to remix the track. 

I've spoken to Fabich and our label Unity Group, and we're happy for everyone to upload your remixes to Soundcloud, and then I'll repost them in a playlist. Once you've uploaded your remix, send me a DM on Instagram with the link to the track and a short message with something like 'this is my remix for the ecstasy remix comp' and I'll repost it. 

Also, for the 10 finalists I've written some more detailed feedback, which is hopefully constructive. Please do take my comments with a grain of salt, as at the end of the day it's only my opinion, and don't let anyone (including me) deter you from making the kind of music you love! 

- - - Ecstasy remix competition finalists notes - - -

• Noprays Mix
    • Groovy, great jazzy chords, incorporation of stems in unique ways, sax and brass samples were hot, and a sexy mood overall, engineered nicely, well balanced elements. Cool talk box in there. The vibe of this one was really on point. It was also very simple and effective, all the elements had space to shine.
    • Loved the sexy club energy here and incorporation of the new ‘ecstasy’ sample in the drop, thought that was clever. Not a super high score here as there are a lot of these jazzy house style tracks out there, but I still love it, I’m a sucker for this vibe.
    • Great chords, use of samples, sax, groove was tight. 
    • Great how it varies throughout, those chords at the end were super jazzy and the sax over the top of them was very vibey. Nice variation throughout the song, even though it is quite a loop based track it somehow feels very fresh throughout and I didn’t get bored.
    • Incorporated lots of the stems in a unique way, and brought a nice club energy with it.
    • Overall Quality / Mix 8/10
    • Originality 7/10
    • Musicality 7.5/10
    • Arrangement 7.5/10
    • Fidelity to Original 7/10
    • TOTAL: 37/50

• R7 Mix
    • Great vibe with the clav sounding chords, guitar was a great touch, vocal chops at the end were cool! Bass is funky, and drums work well and have a good groove. Could have a little more sparkle on the top end in general, it was little muddy mix wise, lots of elements in the mid and lower mid range, could space it out more so the elements have their own place in the mix. Would like to have heard that guitar some more because that was a really nice element!
    • Loved the combo of house groove and the funky synths, however there wasn’t one ‘hook’ sound that was really memorable and grabbed me. All the elements were super nice, however with one really catchy element it could go to the next level.
    • Smooth vibe overall, nice lush jazzy chords, funky synth bass. Could maybe be some more movement musically throughout, ie some chord changes, bass licks here and there
    • Nice groovy beat throughout with some cool subtle breakdowns and builds. Again, feel some accompanying chord changes and music changes along with taking the elements in and out could breathe some more life into it.
    • Incorporated lots of the vocal which is nice, good chopping of the vocal at the end which showed creativity. Lots of good remixes incorporate the vocal only and add their own music which is what you’ve done
    • Overall Quality / Mix 7/10
    • Originality 6/10
    • Musicality 7/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 33.5

• Connor - Carnival Tech House Remix
    • Very cool remix!! Had me grooving in my chair. Saw on your profile that you’ve been making music since start of 2021, very impressive for such a short amount of time. Loved how you really played on the carnival energy of the original, but did it in a more percussive way that also sounds quite Brazlian, whistles were a cool addition too. Great groove overall, nice mix, every element had its place, nice punchy kick and percussion, and you kept it simple but still sounds full - not easy to do.
    • Super cool drums, loved the big percussive energy of the drop, makes u wanna move. Very dry and in your face which really hits hard. Also really liked the changeup at the end where it goes breakbeat for a moment. 
    • Breakbeat thing at the end was great. Percussion was great, nice rolling bass line. Only reason I didn’t score it that high was the overall ‘musical’ parts ie chords / reharmonisation was limited, but that’s also typical of tech house so can’t be too harsh there.
    • Nice builds, groovy drops that go on long enough for you to get into it, and cool breakbeat bit.
    • Loved how he played on the idea of the original tracks ‘carnival’ energy and took it even further with the nice percussive elements and the whistles. Really felt like a Brazilian carnival.
    • Overall Quality / Mix 7.5/10
    • Originality 7/10
    • Musicality 6.5/10
    • Arrangement 7/10
    • Fidelity to Original 8/10
    • TOTAL: 36/50

• Bergwall Remix
    • Love this remix! Super unique and fresh take on the original, great musicality, groovy, and awesome arrangement. All the sounds used are cool, classy and fun. The mix was great, all the elements had their own space, and the drums were a good blend of acoustic and electronic. I love how you used some alternative vocals initially for the Bah bah bits rather than the original mix, makes it sound really fresh. Funky bass, and guitar licks. Lots of cool stuff going on here. Brass that comes in during the second half goes HARD. Only criticism would be that it is slightly loopy for my taste, would like to hear a bit more variation or a longer loop.
    • Very unique, don’t know a lot out there that sounds like this. Very fun, quirky energy. Definitely got your own style.
    • Nice chords, funky bass, cool brass stabs and nice groovy drums.
    • Very fun arrangement that is always interesting throughout, no 2 sections are the same, great builds using fills, adding and subtracting percussion and musical elements, and brass stabs rather than using white noise and other less subtle methods. Kept me engaged throughout by constant variation.
    • Loved how you used alternative parts of the vocal - the more background vocal parts. Respects the original well and also made it your own.
    • Overall Quality / Mix 7.5/10
    • Originality 7/10
    • Musicality 7/10
    • Arrangement 7/10
    • TOTAL: 36.5/50

• Jez Harris remix
    • Great soulful vibe that grabs you as soon as that first chord hits in the intro. Like how u chopped up the piano. Nice funky, percussive drums and love the super wide disco claps. GREAT funky / driving bass line, can see this working in the club. Love how it keeps the soulful funky vibe but changes the vibe to your own thing.
    • Very nice vibe, kind of purple disco machine-esqe which is cool, but also there are a lot of tracks with this type of disco / dance vibe so I couldn’t score super high on originality. In saying that I loved this style, and I can’t get enough of it so I don’t mind personally that it’s not super original, but for your own development as an artist and uniqueness that will make you stand out you might want to think about this, gotta bring something unique to the table. Also something I think about a lot as I’m not the best at it. Either gotta be unique, or the absolute best at what u do. Purple disco imo isn’t the most unique but his mixes are killer and the tracks really pop out of the speakers like no other.
    • Lovely soulful chords and funky bass line, great percussive elements. Loved the synth lead too doing the bah bah line and then goes off and does its own solo, that was great!
    • Nice groove throughout, good build up and final drop, everything makes sense. Nothing game changing so couldn’t score super high here.
    • Lots of original elements, cool how u did the bah line with the synth, and chopped up the piano chords into your own thing which changed the vibe but kept it soulful.
    • Originality 6.5/10
    • Musicality 7/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 35/50

• Half Monster remix:
    • Very fun energy with a dancey vibe. Mix was decent with all the elements well balanced, having their own space. Bass and drums locking together well. Unfortunately for me the genre of this track isn’t my favourite, and the sounds used sound a little ‘cheap’ for my ear. Would like to hear some more interesting sounds and more daring chord progression. Could also have more groove by experimenting with some different swing and groove styles.
    • Couldn’t score this one too high unfortunately as it did sound very similar to a lot of tracks out there that have that triad style chord progressions and saw synth vibe. I would try to experiment with some richer chords, and different patch sounds. Then again, if this is the style of music you love, keep going!
    • Everything works together well, and however once again it was a bit too predictable for my taste as I explained above.
    • Nice arrangement, everything makes sense and flows well, good fills in the transition and builds a lot of energy going into the drop. Slightly too predictable, and could use some more surprises.
    • Uses lots of the vocal which was great, and incorporated your own style instrumentally. 
    • Overall Quality / Mix 6.5/10
    • Originality 5/10
    • Musicality 6/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 31/50

• Phillip Cerveau
    • Very groovy! Love the UK funky feel, nice punchy drums, cool chords, and funky bass line. Loved those reverse samples that come in. Interesting how the second verse had slightly different timing to the original, gave it a different feel. Good mix, very clean and all the elements have space. Nice bright tops and percussion. Sounds could be slightly more classy to elevate the ‘expensiveness’ of the track.
    • Unfortunately couldn’t score this too high as this genre has been done a lot, but it was great to hear a remix that wasn’t 4 to the floor so this was refreshing in that sense.
    • Good use of chords, funky bass, groove and arrangement, solid overall. Maybe throw in some more surprising chords here and there, little chromatic things to keep it fresh.
    • Build was a bit long in the intro, could get a bit more straight to the point, but other than that it built nicely throughout the song.
    • Used a lot of the elements in your own way, respected the original well.
    • Originality 6.5/10
    • Musicality 6.5/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 33/50

• Figgo Remix
    • Nice remix! Very light and fun vibe overall, respects the original well and brings its own flavour to the table. I liked at the end how you incorporated the laugh samples in the outdo that was fun. Touch too busy, lots going on in the drop in particular, could simplify it more with less elements, but elements that have a lot of character. Felt there were a lot of synths there unnecessarily. Vocal was a bit thin, maybe EQ’d it too much. 
    • Liked how the vocal was chopped up and the steel drum sample was fun. Some quite unique synths in the mix. Feel like this kind of style has also been done quite a lot. 
    • Solid musicality, cool use of melody with the synths, and a nice funky bass line. Solid overall. Again I would recommend simplifying the amount of synths you use so that your musicality doesn’t lose it’s shine by getting lost amongst so many elements.
    • Solid arrangement, everything makes sense and I didn’t feel that anything was out of place. Nothing groundbreaking so I didn’t score super high here.
    • Used a good amount of the original elements and also incorporated your own elements well. Overall a nice mix between the 2!
    • Originality 6.5/10
    • Musicality 7/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 33.5/50

• Alv Martin Remix
    • Great vibe! I really liked the musicality in this one, lots of different sections and each one had a cool vibe. Only thing was I thought the sections were too different to each other, it sounds almost like 3 tracks in one with the super chill vibe chords in the beginning, the funky bass section in the chorus, and then the crazy percussive Brazilian carnival energy at the end! Wild. Some of the fx in the verse were a bit much, and the track was a bit busy in places, I would try to simplify it a bit and work on parts of the song fitting together more. Fine to have lots of sections they just have to gel. Mix was fine overall, well balanced.
    • Very unique! Loved the slower tempo and then the switch at the end to the faster tempo. The track kept surprising me throughout which was a good sign. Initially I thought it was going to be super smooth and vibey, but it just kept getting funkier and more energetic throughout!
    • Actually some great musicality here! That part in the middle where it modulates was wild! Really loved that chord change, was super surprising which is what I like. Only issue for me was that the sections didn’t blend that well together imo, could have flowed better between them. Particularly in the first chorus where it goes from bambis singing to the bah part, the transition didn’t sound super natural, but it was a good idea.
    • Solid arrangement, as I said above, only thing was the different sections could have gelled better together, and it was a bit too busy in some sections, simplify it more.
    • Really well done here, incorporating lots of elements from the original, and making it unique with your own elements. Great combination, really made it your own.
    • Originality 7/10
    • Musicality 7/10
    • Arrangement 6.5/10
    • TOTAL: 34.5/50

• Cess & Edwick John Remix
    • Loved this remix! Great intro which grabs your attention straight away with the big strings and jazzy piano chords, and then the super interesting funky bass line that showed great musicality. Loved those synth chords too, and then the big piano chords in the drop with the chopped vocal. Mix was nice and punchy and well balanced. Also loved those smooth Rhodes in the 2nd verse and the guitar at the end, really nice arrangement that stayed interesting. Only criticism would be that I’ve heard that minor 9 chord vibe a lot, I would experiment with some different chords and voicings to add new colours to your music.
    • Definitely got your own style, and stood out amongst the other remixes here. 
    • Great use of rhythm with the synth and piano chords, super funky bass, nice synth leads at the end, strings, all in appropriate places where they add value and don’t make the mix too busy. Good swing and groove to the track, nice drum fills throughout the track that break it up nicely too.
    • Great build ups, love that section where it drops out to the filtered synth chords, big vibe there. Good transitions with the fills, and fx, and the arrangement stays interesting right up until the end, even that last 20 seconds was super vibey! Maybe could have had that section somewhere else as it was really cool.
    • Incorporates a lot of the vocal and nice vocal chops, and also has your own style. Good blend.
    • Overall Quality / Mix 8/10
    • Originality 7.5/10
    • Musicality 8/10
    • Arrangement 7.5/10
    • Fidelity to Original 7.5/10
    • TOTAL: 38.5/50

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

Hi all - here's the new Zoom details...

Topic: Accountability and Feedback Call
Time: Dec 5, 2022 06:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us05web.zoom.us/j/86477054851?pwd=R0hsNTNLREw1aVdoWDVaWnFsNUNidz09

Meeting ID: 864 7705 4851
Passcode: 3GyGC4

updated by @simon-unsigned: 12/02/22 11:18:50AM
smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts

[quote="simon unsigned"]

How does next Monday 5th @ 6pm UK time suit everyone?

[/quote]

I'm up for it

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

Hi all - looking forward to the Zoom call later - we'll allow a few minutes for people to get connected etc, hopefully there's no tech issues but I'll keep an eye on this forum thread for people to add a comment if they're unable to connect.

smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts

Nice to meet you @simon-unsigned.  
I will target 1x DnB track for the next time we meet and looking forwards to hearing your techno tracks

So I guess the next time we catch up we can talk about our new years resolutions 

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

And great to meet you too Simon :-)  Shame I was rambling on when the time ran out on Zoom so we didn't get to finish off the call properly.

I'm going to target finishing 2 of my techno tracks and upload them here before the next call.

I'll also see if there's an alternative to Zoom that doesn't have a time restriction.  Paddy mentioned Jitsi in an earlier thread so I'll look into that.

I'm going to suggest Monday 9th Jan @ 6pm for the next call...

smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts

Cool sounds good.  Oh I forgot, I have another track I wanted to make for Christmas.  I wanted to follow that new breakbeat course by Future Funk Squad and make a remix of pachabel's cannon. 
So thats 2 from me as well gentleman

See you in the new year!

NigelB
NigelB
@nigel
2 years ago
22 posts

[quote="simon unsigned"]

Join Zoom Meeting

[/quote]

Sorry I missed this Simon - honestly and annoyingly I completely forgot about it! If it helps I can use Teams to create the meeting which can be joined via a browser?

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

No worries Nigel and thanks for the offer to set up the Teams, that would be very helpful thanks.

Have you got anything specific you'd like to achieve before the next call?

Looking forward to meeting you in Jan

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
2 years ago
49 posts

Sorry guys. I was sick the last two weeks and could not join the first session. I will mark the next session in my calender. Is Monday the 9th of January still valid? I think until then I will also have some new songs ready for review, which we could go over it in the session. How was the first session? How long did it take?

Kind Regards

Paddy.

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts

Hi Paddy

Sorry to hear you were unwell, hope you're feeling better now.

Yes, next call is scheduled for Monday 9th Jan @ 6pm UK if that's suitable for everyone.

First session was me and @smillington (another Simon!) and it was really good.  We chatted about our musical backgrounds, challenges and what our musical goals and targets are.

Looking forward to meeting you and Nigel on the next call for more of the same!

Cheers, Simon

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Happy New Year everyone!  Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the call tomorrow.  I don't usually work in the office on Mondays but I've got to tomorrow and I won't be back in time.  Should be ok to make the next one and hopefully some of you can still make it tomorrow.

My target was to finish 2 of the Techno tracks I'm working on - which I've not managed, but here's my excuse/reason :-)

I use a small box room at home for my music studio and also to work from home.  It's never been set up very well as I was using 2 makeshift desks and had my studio monitors on a shelf at a right angle to my seat position - not great!  So took the opportunity while I was off work to dismantle my studio equipment and empty the room and reconfigure it - I've installed a new bigger desk along one side of the room to rearrange things and get my studio monitors and seating position correctly located as an equilateral triangle.  I still need to get my equipment reinstalled and wired up, but I'm getting there.

I've managed to make some progress on one of my tracks, I'd say it's about 80% done but still needs some work, mainly on these areas:

- Vocals and main synth sound need some editing (mainly removing bits) so they work/groove better especially on the transitions

- Not sure if the hi hats work, definitely need some EQ but might change the patterns/groove

- Mixdown needs more work - first some level and EQ tweaks across all the tracks then send effects etc

I'll upload the track and post a link below

updated by @simon-unsigned: 01/08/23 12:40:32PM
FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

[quote="NigelB"]

[quote="simon unsigned"]

Join Zoom Meeting

[/quote]

Sorry I missed this Simon - honestly and annoyingly I completely forgot about it! If it helps I can use Teams to create the meeting which can be joined via a browser?

[/quote]

The link doesn't work for me :-(

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Hi Paddy - that was the old link for the call in December and I couldn't make this last one.

How does Monday 6th Feb @ 6pm UK time work for everyone for the next call?

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Hi Simon.

Sounds fine for me. Can you please send me a new link then? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Paddy

manixdj
@manixdj
last year
40 posts

Hi All, Simon, definitely something I would be up for joining in on if it goes ahead on 6th Feb. I'll keep my eye out for a link if you're happy for me to join? 

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Hi all - here's a link to a Teams meeting, hope this works for everyone and it's also the first time I've tried to set one up with my personal account rather than work.

https://teams.live.com/meet/9434164370225

Date/time again is Monday 6th Feb @6pm UK time

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Hi all - if anyone wants to join the call tomorrow but doesn’t use Teams or has trouble connecting I can look at using a different platform.

or let us a know if you’re planning on joining using Teams and we’ll see you tomorrow evening at 6pm UK time happy-5

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

Hi guys,

I forgot about an apppointment today which overlaps with this time :-(. Sorry for that but I will not join today. I hope I can make it next months.

Have fun.

Cu

Paddy

smillington
@smillington
last year
101 posts

Hi Simon - sorry I cant make it either.  Will post some objectives up here.  Sorry mate - am gutted..

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

No worries Paddy/Simon, it means I don't have to admit I've not met my objectives :-)

I thought a fixed day/time would be best, but I reckon we might have to be more flexible and agree a day/time with a bit more short notice and make sure all/most people can make it.

My objective for next month is the same one - finish those 2 techno tunes!  I've also been working on a new studio desk with rack mount section  and will have some work in progress pics to share...

See you next month!

smillington
@smillington
last year
101 posts

Generally the time works for me - I had some extra kids duties tonight and failed to organise.    Sounds like nobody made it then :-(
I finished my DnB track last month - kind of lucked out as I combined it with the AI assignment.  I have a plan this year to release a DnB EP and to build a brand, I am also trying finish tracks quicker, but failing every time. This month I will try to bang out another DnB track before the next remix comp (or maybe afterwards if I run out of time). 
Well done for sorting it out Simon - looks like there is enough interest so hope we can keep going...

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

Blimey - it's March already - anyone up for a call next week? Monday and Wednesday are best for me and happy to arrange a call for when's good for anyone else

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

I would like to be involved if this continues 

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
last year
101 posts

It's proved difficult getting people available for a call on the same date and time so hasn't really taken off unfortunately - we could give it another try if a few of us are still interested...

Tags

Dislike 0