Build a Banger - Member Assignment

admin
admin
@ptmembership
4 months ago
432 posts

Screenshot 20240511 at 19.19.33.png

It's that time again! Welcome to our latest Member Assignment... Build a Banger

For detailed instructions, check out this intro movie from Rob in the Activities section HERE.

In a nutshell, the objective is to choose a banger and then try to create a track as similar to it in style, quality etc. as you can. Once you've made your track, upload it to your profile and then post a link on this thread ALONG WITH THE BANGER IT'S BASED ON (this isn't mentioned in the intro vid!).

Deadline: 24th June 2024

As always, we will do a feedback Zoom session to choose the winners...

FIRST PRIZE: Plugin Boutique Plugin Bundle 

RUNNERS UP PRIZE: Devious Machines Texture

Best of luck with your Bangers!! happy-7 wink-1

updated by @ptmembership: 06/24/24 02:34:21PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
4 months ago
74 posts

This is gonna be interesting! 

Just to be sure, a 'banger' here is purely defined as a song I myself really like, right? Don't need to be very well known or acclaimed or anything?

admin
admin
@ptmembership
4 months ago
432 posts

Good question, perhaps 'banger' should have been clarified more! Here goes...

banger

noun

1. a person or thing that bangs.

Yeah, that's about right. If the track bangs, then it's a banger. Or to break that down a bit more, if it goes off on the dancefloor, it's a banger. Some might use 'banger' to describe tracks they just like a lot, but in this assignment we're meaning one that seriously gets you moving, busts out some stank faces, hits hard in a DJ set.... etc.

admin
admin
@ptmembership
4 months ago
432 posts

So yeah, it doesn't need to be well known at all, but can be.... it's up to you!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 months ago
260 posts

Thanks for the definition - hehe! I thought you were asking us to take a sausage making course at first

Hmmm... now to decide what track to reinvent

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

Damn! I'm in a bit of a squeeze now ... found my banger, but it's ancient, found a recent remix, but didn't like the arrangement, made my own melody, had to change the chords a bit and now that works with the higher bpm of the old but need the sound of the new slower mix - and on top the whole track is starting to live it's own life not resembling any of the above ...

I could use the original chords and melody and remix the remix, but then it would just be a remix and not really a new banger based on a banger ... 

See my problem?

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
3 months ago
260 posts

[quote="Petter"]

Damn! I'm in a bit of a squeeze now ... found my banger, but it's ancient, found a recent remix, but didn't like the arrangement, made my own melody, had to change the chords a bit and now that works with the higher bpm of the old but need the sound of the new slower mix - and on top the whole track is starting to live it's own life not resembling any of the above ...

I could use the original chords and melody and remix the remix, but then it would just be a remix and not really a new banger based on a banger ... 

See my problem?

[/quote]

Sounds like a good enough attempt - especially if you love the song. What is it?

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

It's coming along somewhat :) Decided it should live it's own life, with the risk of ending up outside the scope of the assignment ... 

I chose Paul VanDyk's old classic 'For An Angel'.  

Diode J
Diode J
@diode
3 months ago
9 posts

Build A Banger Entry

Based around 

Ahadadream, Skrillex & Priya Ragu - TAKA 

Didnt want to upload audio so hope a Sound Cloud link is suitable?

Listen to Mpesu Train.wav by DiD GT on #SoundCloud

https://on.soundcloud.com/FuKqV

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
3 months ago
106 posts

Gutted, time has caught up with me.  I'm away this weekend and haven't been able to finish off my banger.  Only had time to do a very rough mix and some rough automation but ran out of time to finesse it with some final tweaks.  Thought I'd still post it though.

I chose a track that I used to love playing as a DJ.  Back in the day I played more house than full on bangers but when the crowd were up for it, I always used to pull this out the bag and it would always go right off :-)

It's Access by DJ Misjah and DJ Tim and goes a little something like this:

https://youtu.be/4o4joooH5tg?si=naHDPYf8Gsr6Fw_6

And here's my homage:

https://community.producertech.com/simon-unsigned/uploaded_audio/423/my-banger

Good luck everyone and I'm looking to hearing everyone's entries when I get back

ben m
ben m
@ben-m
3 months ago
16 posts

I decided to remake my banger and then I was going to mess around with it into something new, but I ran out of time so it's just a remake, albeit a bit different obviously. Based on this little number (Operation Blade by Public Domain):

https://youtu.be/c77RytLm9uA

Come on, it's a banger! Here's mine:

Operation Blade (Remake) - Ben M | Producertech

Good luck everyone!

ben m
ben m
@ben-m
3 months ago
16 posts

btw the main acid riff in this track is a sample from a track by Pump Panel which is a remix of the track Confusion by New Order. It's a 3 for 1.

ben m
ben m
@ben-m
3 months ago
16 posts

but I didn't sample it, I made it in Phoscyon 2

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
3 months ago
51 posts

Sorry guys.

I had too much work to do the last weeks. Just came from my first DJ Gig :-).

I'm not gonna make it for this competition this time.

I had started to work on HI-LO Remix of Paradise but I'm not even half way through and today is also the European Championship game of Germany. I wish everybody good luck for the competition.

Best Regards

Paddy

updated by @freethinkerinc: 06/23/24 04:05:41PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

OK, this project got slightly out of hand for a while, I could really have used another week on this, but here we are ... 

As I said, my point of reference is Paul VanDyk's 'For An Angel' - one of my all time favourite trance tracks, brilliant simple melody hook very cleverly arranged and produced. Can't help smiling and dancing to this one whenever it comes on. Classic banger.

https://soundcloud.com/paulvandykofficial/for-an-angel

Original, is in Am and 138bpm, Dm Am C DM progression I believe.

Of course I wanted to do something a bit different, so I've attempted an EDM/Future rave track, taking it down to 128bpm, and slightly changed the chords to DM AM C G DM. I have also changed up the melody to try make it my own.

I'm not sure the original is too much recognisable anymore, so hope I'm not falling outside the scope of the assignment here ...

I've called mine 'What I Love', and here it is:

https://community.producertech.com/petter/uploaded_audio/426/what-i-love-banger-assignment

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
3 months ago
57 posts

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/427/a-winters-tale

And, yes, before anyone says anything, I know it's not Christmas! - but I've always loved this song, and it's a classic 'banger' in my opinion.

I hope I've done the original justice. A fun assignment, thanks :)

updated by @technic-tone: 06/23/24 10:55:02PM
manixdj
@manixdj
3 months ago
45 posts

Gutted, but the bill paying day job has just go the better of me in the last couple of months so I am no where near finishing my banger. I do want to carry on with it though and will post once completed for some critique, if not prizes! Might take me a while though!!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

[quote="Technic Tone"]

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/427/a-winters-tale

And, yes, before anyone says anything, I know it's not Christmas! - but I've always loved this song, and it's a classic 'banger' in my opinion.

[/quote]

This is great Tone! Really digging it. I can see you going up and up the ranks in these comps!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

[quote="manixdj"]

Gutted, but the bill paying day job has just go the better of me in the last couple of months so I am no where near finishing my banger. I do want to carry on with it though and will post once completed for some critique, if not prizes! Might take me a while though!!

[/quote] Sorry to hear that Manix, although we're treated to your music regularly in the 'Let Us Hear You' section, so that's all good

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

[quote="Petter"]

OK, this project got slightly out of hand for a while, I could really have used another week on this, but here we are ... 

As I said, my point of reference is Paul VanDyk's 'For An Angel' - one of my all time favourite trance tracks, brilliant simple melody hook very cleverly arranged and produced. Can't help smiling and dancing to this one whenever it comes on. Classic banger.

https://soundcloud.com/paulvandykofficial/for-an-angel

Original, is in Am and 138bpm, Dm Am C DM progression I believe.

Of course I wanted to do something a bit different, so I've attempted an EDM/Future rave track, taking it down to 128bpm, and slightly changed the chords to DM AM C G DM. I have also changed up the melody to try make it my own.

I'm not sure the original is too much recognisable anymore, so hope I'm not falling outside the scope of the assignment here ...

I've called mine 'What I Love', and here it is:

https://community.producertech.com/petter/uploaded_audio/426/what-i-love-banger-assignment

[/quote]

I hear you Petter - mayeb you needed a bit more finishing time on this but I think it's an admirable effort regardless. Your tunes are always pretty strong so I'm not surprised

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

Hello people, long time..sorry for the delay in my upload, I've been very busy with classes. My entry to the assignement is this song inspired in Dua Lipa's "old" classic Don't start now. I hope you like it! best regards to all you guys

https://community.producertech.com/alvm/uploaded_audio/430/starlight

updated by @alvm: 06/25/24 08:34:06PM
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

[quote="AlvM"]

Hello people, long time..sorry for the delay in my upload, I've been very busy with classes. My entry to the assignement is this song inspired in Dua Lipa's "old" classic Don't start now. I hope you like it! best regards to all you guys

[/quote]

This is a bona fide tuneeee! Proper good. Similar enough to the original track to be noticeably derived, but has it's own flair. Especially love the classic piano sounds.

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

[quote="Technic Tone"]

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry:

[/quote] Didn't really think about it yesterday but hilarious that you've done a Christmas song in June. Do you live in Australia? Very well made!

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

[quote="SamuelClouston"]

[quote="AlvM"]

[/quote]

This is a bona fide tuneeee! Proper good. Similar enough to the original track to be noticeably derived, but has it's own flair. Especially love the classic piano sounds.

[/quote] Thank you Samuel! that was the idea! :)

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

Hey guys,

In case you missed the newsletter.... tonight is a Zoom session giving feedback on the entries and choosing the winner. 

Click here to join.

See you there! 

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
2 months ago
57 posts

[quote="SamuelClouston"]

[quote="Technic Tone"]

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry:

[/quote]

This is great Tone! Really digging it. I can see you going up and up the ranks in these comps!

[/quote]

Thanks Samuel

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
74 posts

Congrats to @ben-m for winning and @alvm as runners up! Well deserved for two banging tunes. Great work guys!

And thanks to Rob for insight and sound advice - will keep plugging at it and try to improve. Guess I have to set up some Seppa sessions to finally try and get a grip on that darn low end! goofy-1 and possibly learn to curb my ambitions a bit ... scepticlaughing-2

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

hello guys! totally lost the zoom, any chances I can watch it anywhere? someone recorded it? [quote="Petter"]

Congrats to @ben-m for winning and @alvm as runners up! Well deserved for two banging tunes. Great work guys!

And thanks to Rob for insight and sound advice - will keep plugging at it and try to improve. Guess I have to set up some Seppa sessions to finally try and get a grip on that darn low end! goofy-1 and possibly learn to curb my ambitions a bit ... scepticlaughing-2

[/quote] thank you!! Petter :)

updated by @alvm: 07/03/24 01:58:01PM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

[quote="Petter"]

[/quote]

No worries Petter. We always enjoy your music and look forward to hearing it get even better! 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

[quote="AlvM"]

hello guys! totally lost the zoom, any chances I can watch it anywhere? someone recorded it? [quote="Petter"]

[/quote] thank you!! Petter :)

[/quote]

Hey Alv! We uploaded the Zoom here now, so you can check it out if you like.... https://community.producertech.com/ptmembership/youtube/329/build-a-banger-feedback-zoom

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
74 posts

Video is taken down for copyright reasons where I live scared

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

[quote="Petter"]

Video is taken down for copyright reasons where I live scared

[/quote]

same here :(

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

oh booo! We can upload it to Dropbox so you can check it out... hold tight

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

[quote="admin"]

oh booo! We can upload it to Dropbox so you can check it out... hold tight

[/quote]thank you!!!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

Here's a link to it on DB: Click to Watch

AlvM
AlvM
@alvm
2 months ago
20 posts

[quote="admin"]

Here's a link to it on DB: Click to Watch

[/quote]thank you!!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
260 posts

Just listened back to everyone's submissions again. Well done everybody, some really impressive entries :)

Tags

Dislike 0