Which Controllers Do You Really Appreciate?

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
3 years ago
47 posts
MIDI controllers have gotten so much better over the last decade. New ways to work with sounds outside of traditional instrument interfaces.

The Maschine JAM (discontinued) has been revolutionary in a way for me. To be able to set the note structure or chord structure, and then work through that without making any mistakes by simply eliminating the notes I don't want to use. The touch strips give a real tactile sense of control, especially for recreating stringed instruments. But keyboard is still absolutely necessary for an easy and complete workflow that's intuitive.

What other MIDI controllers out there that you have used offer a unique and untraditional interface that truly changes the way you create sound?

Yes it is a good question... But more importantly, I don't have a lot of money to spend... like most of us. So what are the most inventive current and discontinued controllers that you have used, that really changed the way you make music?
updated by @betterledproductions: 09/30/21 06:00:58AM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 years ago
405 posts
Great question! Very interested to hear what people have to say....

To this day, one of the controllers that I've found to be most useful, perhaps more for performing that producing, but also a fair bit in the studio, is the Novation X-Station. A synth + audio interface + MIDI controller. Quite a rare combo that doesn't seem to be a popular choice for manufacturers today either. Perhaps the customer base isn't large enough as it combines too many items into one, but I loved it! Having a MIDI controller and interface combined was useful enough, but the synth on top, especially as the synth FX could be used to process the audio inputs like vocals or mic'd up instruments, was a really special treat!

The Xiosynth that came after was similarly great (if I do say so myself - I was the product manager for that one) but they don't seem to make either anymore or have any kind of alternative. I guess they leave the interfacing to Focusrite!

Anyway, that's not very helpful to anyone looking for a new controller, although you can probably still find them 2nd hand online.
simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
3 years ago
101 posts
It's nothing revolutionary, but getting an APC Mini made a real difference for me, just using the pad grid for 'jamming' with clips in the session view meant I could be a bit more creative with recording live arrangements rather than just dragging clips along the timeline. I still need to get more into follow actions to open even more creative options.

And another thumbs up for Novation from me - just recently got a 2nd hand Zero SL MkII that I want to start using with the APCMini to create some 'live' performance tracks while still working ITB. It seems really flexible in terms of templating a custom workflow that will suit how I work - there's some tutorials on youtube I need to watch first (starring a slightly younger looking Rob Jones ;-))
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
3 years ago
127 posts
haha! Yeah, that was a while back! One of the first bits of technology I 'taught', after the Liquid Channel series. I don't know how different Automap is today. It seems to still be going and in version 4. Interested to know how you get on with it...
deltadio
@deltadio
3 years ago
55 posts
I think the 'Bitstream 3x' from "Wave idea" is one of the best midi controllers ever made, it is a pity it was discontinued. I assumed the manufacturer went belly up or something to that extent but that's not the case both Waveidea and CME (its distributor) are still around. In 'MackieControl' setting this controller seems to work ok in for instance Ableton but as a midi controller I can't see it not working for any DAW. Obviously the USB connectivity might at some point not be supported but then you could still rely on its regular MIDI ports. Knobs, Sliders, Buttons, X/Y axis it has it all and USB powered, what's not to like?

I just found out it was invented/designed by the same guy who made the Teenage Engineering OP-1 synthesizer! Strangely enough without sarcasm he (the inventer) has this to say about the collaboration with CME on distribution of the Bitstream 3x: " A deal was established with CME after the product was officially released. This amazing controller is discontinued for a long time and I still receive requests to make it available again. A true success story with CME, who definitely became my exclusive partner after this product collaboration." Well I guess we have to take his word for it...

From Novation's Automap (the earlier versions) I can still remember that it would copy any VST and put its own little software wrapper around them just so they could link them through automap to your novation controller; a bizarrely intrusive and convoluted process. Later on I discovered the novation controllers did just fine without that atrocious Automap for the midi controlling i needed. Configuring the novation controller I found difficult, I would have expected to be able to make as many profiles as I needed but there were only a tiny amount of templates available and not much of community sharing templates.

The ideal midi controller has a feature importing user made profiles for softsynths and hardware synths; it should have a large userbase keen to share and upload new profiles...
deltadio
@deltadio
3 years ago
55 posts
Try and top that!
CME Bitstream3x.jpg
CME Bitstream3x.jpg  •  73KB

smillington
@smillington
2 years ago
101 posts
Interesting discussion thread - I suppose it depends how you use it as well.

I started off with an Arturia Keystep which was useful as a keyboard. I found the small keys got frustrating at times though, so upgraded to a nektar impact LX49+ which supposed to work with my DAW Reason. Its quite easy to map controls, but more often than not, I find myself looking at the screen more than the hardware actually.
That said, I also got a Digitakt prior to getting a DAW and found that fun to play with, but found greater flexibility and visibility with a DAW. Am determined to make the digitakt work to produce drums ontop of the DAW now, because I believe Hardware is a better route into creativity..
HyzeXdj
HyzeXdj
@hyzexdj
2 years ago
7 posts
Im using (sometimes) - Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 DJ Controller... Its a nice little thing... Others that use the same?

--
[Sound & Music Creator]-[Since 2022]-[PsyTrance]-[Trance]-[Techno]-[www.hyzexdj.net]
[Sponsored by Loopmaster]-[Join Today]-[The Best Samples & Sounds]-[Quality 100%]-[Easy Downloads]
[Go To > www.loopmaster.com]
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 years ago
219 posts
I've been using the Novation launchpad for creating live stuff on ableton. Not gonna lie for years. i just used arrangement voew, never bothered with the whole live looping thing... but my god have I been converted. Its only about £100 aswell, proper worth it.
betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
2 years ago
47 posts
Hmmm.... this is expensive... but I want three or four...
https://www.embodme.com/

Tags

Dislike 0