SUCCESSION ASSIGNMENT

admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 months ago
404 posts

succession banner community.jpg

Hello Members!

Today we're kicking off our next member assignment - to rework the theme tune of the popular TV show Succession rich rich-2

Check Rob's intro HERE for the rules. 

The MIDI he refers to (if you need it) can be found in the DOWNLOADS area.

DEADLINE: Monday 18th March

PRIZES....

1st PLACE - NI KOMPLETE 14 SELECT

2nd PLACE - D16 GROUP DEVASTOR

Some useul YouTube links...

Original Theme Tune

Nicholas Britell talking about the music

GOOD LUCK!! happy-9

updated by @ptmembership: 02/02/24 10:15:26PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
43 posts

Awesome! Challenge accepted :D

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
3 months ago
49 posts

Since a lot of what I write seems to end up sounding like TV theme tunes, do you think my moment has finally arrived!

Interesting challenge, thanks Rob :)

manixdj
@manixdj
3 months ago
36 posts

Hmm this is interesting, always wanted to make a Synthwave track! I will see if I can fit this in to my tight schedule in the coming month! 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
3 months ago
212 posts

OOOooooooO! God yeah. Haven't actually seen the show but I've heard the theme song and it's already a bonafide banger. And as a big fan of synthwave I'm looking forward to giving this a crack. Time to crack out the CS80, Juno 6 and Jupiter 8 emulations!

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
3 months ago
101 posts

Another top assignment - thanks Rob!  Lots of opportunity to stamp your own mark on this.

Couple of questions around the rules - are we free to try a different tempo and also tweak the timing/rhythm of some of the note patterns in the MIDI you provided?  I get it will still need to be recognisable as the same theme tune.

admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 months ago
404 posts

If you want to stretch it to a different tempo then go ahead, and similarly changing the melodic content a little with regards to rhythm and timing is fine. But yes, I probably wouldn't mess with the harmony or change the chords, as it will most likely turn it into a different beast! It does want to be easily recognisable as you say.

All The Bufos
All The Bufos
@all-the-bufos
3 months ago
1 posts

I've never watched Succession, but I'm guessing from the title, it's the dramatic story of the succession plans of a Colombian druglord. So my entry is a roughly Latin beat inspired remix: https://community.producertech.com/all-the-bufos/uploaded_audio/404/succession-theme-as-latin-beat-speedcore

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
404 posts

[quote="All The Bufos"]

I've never watched Succession, but I'm guessing from the title, it's the dramatic story of the succession plans of a Colombian druglord. So my entry is a roughly Latin beat inspired remix: https://community.producertech.com/all-the-bufos/uploaded_audio/404/succession-theme-as-latin-beat-speedcore

[/quote]

Close! It's a disgusting American media corporation though. In any case, it's a nice rework, good job happy-9

Transpire
Transpire
@transpire
2 months ago
10 posts

Great fun working on this. Tried to keep faithful to the structure and orchestral theme, but turn into something a bit different!

Succession Transpire Arrangement - Transpire | Producertech

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
43 posts

[quote="Transpire"]

Great fun working on this. Tried to keep faithful to the structure and orchestral theme, but turn into something a bit different!

Succession Transpire Arrangement - Transpire | Producertech

[/quote]

Nice!

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
43 posts

Right, so kind of still a work in progress ... this thing just spawned out of what I was planning to do with this, and had to get it out of the way.

Not sure this is gonna be my entry - or exactly what it actually is - but anyways ...

https://community.producertech.com/petter/uploaded_audio/406/succession-theme-lofi

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
404 posts

Sounding great guys! Keep em coming! joyful-2

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 months ago
101 posts

Here's my rework.  Tried a few things to put a different twist on it but they didn't work so I kept it more like the original but went electronic and grunged it up a bit.  Really fun to do and learnt some useful stuff about music theory in the process.

https://community.producertech.com/simon-unsigned/uploaded_audio/407/succession-rework

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
2 months ago
49 posts

Hi everyone,

I love 80s music so learning about Synthwave was great fun :)

With plenty of compression and some nice gated snares, it seems like you're well on your way with this genre - blimey, am I actually starting to become familiar with genres!?

I've called my remix "Syncession" - where "Succession" meets "Synthwave"!

Anyway, here's my entry. Hope you like it:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/408/syncession

updated by @technic-tone: 03/02/24 06:51:39PM
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
2 months ago
127 posts

Loving these! Good work everyone happy-9

updated by @robjones: 03/06/24 01:56:10PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
43 posts

[quote="Technic Tone"]

Hi everyone,

I love 80s music so learning about Synthwave was great fun :)

With plenty of compression and some nice gated snares, it seems like you're well on your way with this genre - blimey, am I actually starting to become familiar with genres!?

I've called my remix "Syncession" - where "Succession" meets "Synthwave"!

Anyway, here's my entry. Hope you like it:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/408/syncession

[/quote]

Cool! I'm digging this 80's style too. Really fun!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 months ago
212 posts

Woah! These are so good! Love Tone's entry - proper 80s nostalgia kicking in

manixdj
@manixdj
2 months ago
36 posts

Great work all, especially loving your effort Tone, really well executed 80's vibe! Have to admit I have struggled with this one, might be a bit controversial but I am not a fan of the original which has made it hard to work with and still trying to work out the theory from Rob's tutorial! I may still get something in but my time is unfortunately limited and I have my own next track to try and get out! Good work though everyone

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
2 months ago
49 posts

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.

Petter
Petter
@petter
one month ago
43 posts

Finally managed to get my main Succession project done too goofy-1

Tried my luck with this synthwave style too, was harder than expected, and not sure I really got the sound there ... Hope Rob will do some bonus tutorials in this genre some time, because it's really cool!

So, I reimagined this as the intro for the 1984 TV show Miami Nights, delving in the adventures of private eye extraordinaire Jim ‘Crony’ Sockitt. In his flamboyant lighthearted style he assists the rich and famous of the Florida hotspot with whatever shady endeavours they would need. Think luxurious penthouses, lavish all night parties, fast cars, yachts, jet skis and sun drenched beach life. And minimal pastel swimwear obviously. This show had it all - including a stellar soundtrack to boot. Enjoy:

Kind of liked my other weirdy version too, so I'll leave it to the Producertech jury to decide which one is the more appropriate entry happy-1

Dudemeister
Dudemeister
@dudemeister
one month ago
1 posts

So, I did the assignment, although I leave for others to judge if it's even fit for a entry. I don't mind if it fails at pre-qualification, and It certainly needs polish, but time's up! dumb

I was just dabbling at this, because this assignment had nicely tight requirements and helpful midi-files, so I had some hope to actually finish the theme song. I was aiming at dark synthwave, but it's a matter of opinion if I got even close.

Here's the link:

https://community.producertech.com/dudemeister/uploaded_audio/410/succession-the-dark-wave

UtobiaNZ
UtobiaNZ
@tobysmithnz
one month ago
7 posts

last minute entry! unfortunately I didn't even get close to a proper mix down and mainly threw it together today..ah well thought it would be at least fun to throw in some drum and bass flavour. loving everyone else's spins on the original!

link:

https://community.producertech.com/tobysmithnz/uploaded_audio/411/succession-rejungled

ben m
ben m
@ben-m
one month ago
12 posts

Not sure I've strayed far enough from the original, but fun assignment as always. Good luck everyone!

Succession Remix - Ben M | Producertech

admin
admin
@ptmembership
one month ago
404 posts

Great work everyone. We'll do a feedback Zoom session tomorrow at 18.00 GMT (all being well) to check out some of our favourite entries and pick the winners.... 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81282313151

Hope to see you there!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
one month ago
212 posts

Looking forward to seeing who wins. Loved all the entries! Tone's is my fav so far...

updated by @samuelclouston: 03/19/24 06:43:27PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
one month ago
43 posts

Great entries everyone!
Looking forward to Rob's assessments tonight goofy-4 Will be out most of the day but hopefully back in time for the zoom.

So fun doing these type of challenges, and absolutely fascinating to hear the creativity and different vibes coming from everyone from the same starting point. 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
one month ago
404 posts

Great to see you all earlier! Congrats to all who entered on the excellent work and especially well done to the winners smile-1

Anyone who missed this can watch the Zoom back in the Past Livestreams section HERE

smillington
@smillington
one month ago
99 posts

Thanks for sharing Rob, I really enjoyed listening to everyone's creativity shine in that Comp - and great job to Mr TV Theme himself!

Tags

Dislike 0