DimensionX - Alpha - New track!

manixdj
@manixdj
11 months ago
40 posts

I'm getting faster! Which is nice, and again this was a fun one. I just dropped my latest track on to Soundcloud, hope you enjoy it and welcome any feedback! 

https://soundcloud.com/manix_dj/dimensionx-alpha?si=7498da2e8fd34b6b971d94d182a36559&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

I plan on doing my own remix of this, perhaps a more techno based version, this will naturally be Beta!

smillington
@smillington
11 months ago
101 posts

Wow - how did you get that kick to pop out like that?

Great track - with lots of twists and turns. At times the chords sound too dissonant, but then there's a drop or resolution of some kind and it seems to work. Definitely a banger 

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
11 months ago
127 posts

Tight mix for sure! Nice arrangement too - great contrasts and hypnotic harmonies in the breakdowns. As Simon says, the dissonances need some attention.

Is the dissonance at 3.00 intentional? It jumps out a bit too much for me personally (it's the C# in the melody clashing with a D in another part). Saying that, I did get used to it as the track went on.

There's another worse tuning issue at 4.00 though with the arp - you've got an Eb that should be an E. So the arp is playing a C minor chord whilst the main harmony is C major. (This clash is extended into the build up from 4.15-4.30.)

Apart from the tuning issues though, the track is really good. Awesome work!

updated by @robjones: 07/04/23 05:36:41PM
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
11 months ago
228 posts

Manix always providing the gold! Lovely trance vibes. Feel like i'm hanging out in the Balaeric islands happy-8

manixdj
@manixdj
10 months ago
40 posts

Thanks all for the feedback, as always, appreciated. Been on holiday so this is my first opportunity to respond. 

@smillington - the kick was constructed using two kick samples layered, one with more high end content and then EQ'd to take out any lower or mid frequencies and one providing the lower end and visa versa on the EQ. The pop though is probably more down to the compression applied. I have a preset compressor that I have over the whole drum rack and tweak it to help make the drums pop out like that. 

I agree with you and @robjones on the dissonance. This started to appear when I introduced the arp synth more than anything and as you say Rob is probably the more noticeable and irritating issues that needs fixing. Your guidance on this is much appreciated as I found my self not knowing how to fix it! Music theory is something I am still working on and probably where more work is needed for me. I find arrangement and mixing quite natural, but as my tracks become more complex and I start to create my own parts more, this is certainly something I will work on! I will see what I can do to correct this and hopefully not lose what I was going for. I am more comfortable with the issue you noted at 3:00. 

@samuelclouston - thank you for the feedback, glad you like the work! 

manixdj
@manixdj
10 months ago
40 posts

Have hopefully addressed the tuning issues. Made sure I matched the key of the samples I used with the keys of the chords and arps using the 'Scale' button in my MIDI tracks. Changed the notes that don't sit in the scales and hopefully you find this sounds better. I think it does, but not 100%. 

Anyway, I hope it works for you, appreciate any feedback on whether you think it sounds right now? Many thanks. 

I've added this track to the community site. 

smillington
@smillington
10 months ago
101 posts

Loving it Manix great track!

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
8 months ago
101 posts

Hey @manixdj - I really like the track, and its a great sounding production/mixdown as well.  Did you ever release it or send out as a demo?

manixdj
@manixdj
8 months ago
40 posts

[quote="simon unsigned"]

Hey @manixdj - I really like the track, and its a great sounding production/mixdown as well.  Did you ever release it or send out as a demo?

[/quote] Hi Simon, I didn’t ever release this, always start the process of making some of my tracks available on streaming services via SoundCloud but it’s such a cumbersome process I end up putting it down for a while whilst I sort out the artwork etc….. I saw your other thread on this, I’d be happy to learn more about the project and how I could contribute to that with my tracks.

Thanks for the positive comments too, appreciate it. 

updated by @manixdj: 09/07/23 09:26:26PM

Tags

Dislike 0