PC performance of Rob

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
2 years ago
49 posts
Hello Rob,

when I was going through your mixing tutorial, I regonized that your cpu performance meter is almost always at just around 1%. Can you please share your PC specifications?

I'm using a AMD 5900X (12-Core-CPU) and I'm having around 5-10% load with the same project. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my windows configuration? I assume you are using probably a Mac, right? Anyway can you please post your specs here?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Paddy
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
2 years ago
127 posts
Hi Paddy!

I'm using a pimped iMac from 2013! It's definitely a system I would recommend for audio and video work because it's nearly 10 years old and is still going pretty strong! Here's the spec....

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3,1 GHz

Memory: 16 GB

The hard drive is a 500GB SSD

Anything else you want to know?

Cheers,
Rob
nufferzzz
@nufferzzz
2 years ago
30 posts
Hmmm! My i5 8GB laptop is busting a gut trying to run the stems and a few (:)) plugins for the Jafunk remix comp. With Cyber Monday approaching, I was wondering if a i7 with 16GB would be sufficient or if I'd have to go all in ie i9 +32GB (sell parents and children, obviously keep the missus). Does your system handle large projects easily, Rob?

Derick (nufferzzz)
betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

I built a custom PC for my production needs (audio and video). Because of heat, I run a large tower outside my closet studio and run the cables in. 

The #1 thing that Apple gets right in my opinion, I match in my design. That key is the buffer speeds of the motherboard, processor cache, and my RAM all match. Generally, mass produced PC's drop the ball in one of those areas, which creates a backup in the buffer which causes the computer to CHOKE now and again, and empty the buffer. The high-end Macs built for production also match speed, allowing for the lowest latency. 

I have a Intel I9-9900, 32 gig of RAM, two SSD drives with 300 Mbps transfer rate, all on... and this is super important... the BEST and most recent ASUS motherboard I could afford. When you match the speeds of RAM and Processor buffer to the motherboard you choose, you create the most powerful PC possible. Do this and you will have a rock solid system that will rarely choke, if ever.

Or buy a Mac. As for me... I even hate Iphones... so yes I am biased.

updated by @betterledproductions: 03/16/23 07:56:43PM
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
219 posts

I'm absolutely no expert and sure I'll get roasted but;

I've had many computers over the years with many different specs (i3-i7, 8gb-32gb RAM_ and Ive found that for specifically DAW based stuff, and particularly having lots of instances of vsts on multiple tracks, that having increased RAM helped the most. I now have an i7 desktop with 32gb RAM, and its conisderably better than when I had an i7 with just 16gb ram.

As I said, im no expert, so if I'm totatlly wrong, then there you go. Just my 2 cents

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

No, you are totally right. RAM is a leading factor! 

Honestly, I did go to 64 gig a few months ago... forgot about that. But you are exactly right.

But, when pushing your PC to it's very limit though... matching the transfer speed of the motherboard buffer, with the processor buffer (L2 cache?) to the RAM buffer speed makes for a stable system that rarely chokes. 

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
last year
49 posts

I made the same experiences over the last decades, so I fully agree with you.

Tags

Dislike 0