Your Workflow in 2022

bevanmusiq
@bevanmusiq
2 years ago
31 posts
As we head into the new year what did you pick up or learn in 2021 that you will take into this year?
bevanmusiq
@bevanmusiq
2 years ago
31 posts
I'll start: I found I got bored of making music for a short period of time, it was frustrating and I couldn't figure it out. I concluded I was bored because my process was too predictable I would go to the same sounds, progressions and grooves (I was basically making the same song over and over again). In the same way a video game loses it's charm after you complete it, this is what had happened to my music making process. So I updated my Logic and invested in some new plugins and sample packs and it's been fruitful ever since! Now if I get bored I challenge myself and make something completely out of my comfort zone and make sure I pursue it to an end. My biggest takeaway: challenge yourself and do something different when things get stale. The new plugins and sounds definitely helped too but it was this realisation to change things up that I am thankful I will take into 2022. Did you guys face a creative challenge and overcome it in 2021? Let me know!
admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 years ago
408 posts
Great thread Bevan! We'll definitely use this as inspiration for our member assignments in 2022!
simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
2 years ago
101 posts
I learnt that I need to start giving myself some self-imposed deadlines and targets to work towards otherwise I just end up going around in circles and reworking tracks into something different but never finishing them. Sometimes it's fun just to boot up the DAW and see what happens but I also need to be a bit more disciplined so I can reach a point with each track to say it's done.
simonshackleton
@simonshackleton
2 years ago
12 posts
[quote="simon unsigned"]
I learnt that I need to start giving myself some self-imposed deadlines and targets to work towards otherwise I just end up going around in circles and reworking tracks into something different but never finishing them. Sometimes it's fun just to boot up the DAW and see what happens but I also need to be a bit more disciplined so I can reach a point with each track to say it's done.
[/quote]

I think that learning to get to the finish line with tracks is super important. The point at which most people abandon tracks is generally the point where the dopamine kick they get at the heart of the creative 'moment' goes missing. If this is an area that you struggle in (ie. the arrangement part of the process), I would suggest leaning into that discomfort and figuring out how to push through. Get clear on what the incentives are to complete a track - perhaps sharing it with friends, having it played at a local club or on the radio, being able to post it on forums & on the socials etc ...

When you finish tracks you are effectively laying down building blocks on which you can build real progress ... but without those foundations, you'll find yourself going round in circles.

--
🎛️ MIXING 🔊 MASTERING 🎙️MENTORING
http://www.mixingmasteringmentoring.com

Tags

Dislike 0