Chilled Breaks track

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
8 months ago
101 posts

Finally got around to finishing one of my tracks.  I'm happy with the composition although I realise my taste is "a bit niche" and not everyone's cup of tea.  Where I think I really need to focus and improve is on the sound production and mixdown, I just can't seem to achieve that clear, punchy sound I'm looking for.

So any constructive criticism or advice on the production/mix side of things would be gratefully received.

https://community.producertech.com/simon-unsigned/uploaded_audio/383/electric-air

Thanks

Simon

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
8 months ago
49 posts

Hi Simon, I'm not really familiar with this style of music (and I'm terrible with genres in general!) but the mix sounds nice and clean. The only thing I don't like is the slightly piercing repetitive synth a minute or two into the track. It just sounds a little harsh to me - or maybe that's what producers aim for with this type of music? Hope that helps :)

updated by @technic-tone: 09/09/23 01:15:22PM
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
8 months ago
127 posts

Liking the retro start to this Simon. The drums are reminding me of proper old school beats and breaks from back in the day too! I'm digging the bassline and vibe in general.

No major problems with the track really. The mix is a bit fuzzy like you say (although that sounds quite genre-apropriate I'd say). That can be a very hard thing to get right. On the drums side, you can improve it by focussing on the transients - transient shapers like Drum Buss or iZotope Neutron. Eventide Split EQ can be good for EQing transients too. Sometimes when you over compress drums, they sound really beefy but lose their punch so that's something to bear in mind too. 

I kind of wanted a bit more variety in general. You've got some nice subtle variation throughout, but could have had another lead or 2 to alternate with the one you have (which does get a little much when you have it playing for so long). I'm liking the bits with just drums and extra delay though, which sounded nice. The breakdown started really well and I love the piano and harmony, but it feels a bit lost as it progresses. Parts start to sound a little disjointed - this is the weakest area of the track for me, but it's by no means disastrous, just felt like a slight loss in direction. Generally a very good track though - nice work!

simon unsigned
simon unsigned
@simon-unsigned
8 months ago
101 posts

Hi Rob and Tone, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and very useful to hear.  Yes, I was going for something quite piercing with the lead sound but, like you both say, it's a bit much.  But I've got some good input to work on and improve on my next track!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
7 months ago
219 posts

Hey Simon

I agree with Rob, there isn't anything majorly wrong with the track, it just needs some refining.

It sounds to me like some of the high end hi hats loops/ samples used were low quality (although that could be the actual quality that you uploaded) or lacking in sufficient sheen - this does lend the track an oldskool 90's feel, which is great if that's what you're aiming for, but that's what stood out to me. 

Love the fat breaks though, very heavy and big sounding, could fill up a stadium with this sort of track.

Tags

Dislike 0