New Member Brass-ignment!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
10 months ago
404 posts

We've got a new Brass-ignment for you - check the ACTIVITIES section for details... essentially though, it's making a track from the Latin Horns samples in the downloads section (use as many or as few samples as you want). Upload tracks to your profile page and then post on this thread...

PRIZE: PHASE PLANT SOFTSYNTH!

DEADLINE: 31st AUGUST 2023

If you have any other questions, post them here...

updated by @ptmembership: 09/25/23 01:46:38PM
FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
10 months ago
49 posts

Nice. I'm looking forward to producing a nice brassy summer house track.

Cheers

Paddy

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
10 months ago
218 posts

Great, I've started somethign last night - excited to show y'all!

smillington
@smillington
9 months ago
101 posts

Howdy folks.

I'm working on a sambass track. Still early in the process and will be breaking for holidays as well. Should be ready by end of August or early September...

Looking forwards to summer house vibes paddy (he says as it pours with rain in the uk) - how's it going?

What style is your track Samuel?

Anyone else working on anything - Looking forwards to hearing what comes up...

admin
admin
@ptmembership
9 months ago
404 posts

I wonder if we want to extend the deadline a bit. What do people think? Could do the end of August to give more time.

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
9 months ago
218 posts

Yeah that would be great. I haven't had time to give it a shot yet. Thanks!

smillington
@smillington
9 months ago
101 posts

Yeah - this would be awesome.  Thanks Rob

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
9 months ago
49 posts

Yes this would be great, because I have had no time so far to work on and in a couple of days I have vacations.

Thanks Rob.

arrmixer
@arrmixer
9 months ago
1 posts
Hey everyone! I haven’t heard the sounds yet but I’m probably going to make a hiphop track with the samples. Hopefully I can slice them up nice! :D
minDrip
minDrip
@mindrip
9 months ago
9 posts

I think I finished it today. Did a quick master pass at where I was at. I was intending to take another pass at it but I'm really liking how it sounds right now. 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
9 months ago
404 posts

Nice work @senor-picante happy-9

Looking forward to hearing the rest!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
9 months ago
218 posts

[quote="minDrip"]

https://community.producertech.com/mindrip/uploaded_audio/376/chopo

Had a lot of fun on this one. 

[/quote] Woah! This is so good. The mix is so chunky and fat, in the best way possible. Really nice balance and fun use of the samples too. I'd play this in a DJ set

minDrip
minDrip
@mindrip
9 months ago
9 posts

[quote="SamuelClouston"]

[quote="minDrip"]

[/quote] Woah! This is so good. The mix is so chunky and fat, in the best way possible. Really nice balance and fun use of the samples too. I'd play this in a DJ set

[/quote]

Thanks so much!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
9 months ago
404 posts

[quote="minDrip"]

[/quote]

Yeah, really nice track! Great arrangement. Good stuff happy-5

admin
admin
@ptmembership
9 months ago
404 posts

Had a great idea for our next Member Assignment btw.... details to come...

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
9 months ago
49 posts

Hi all,

here is my contribution to the Brass-Ignment :-). Hope you gonna like it.

https://community.producertech.com/freethinkerinc/uploaded_audio/377/freethinkers-inc-brass-ignment

Kind Regards

Paddy

updated by @freethinkerinc: 08/13/23 05:15:27PM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
8 months ago
404 posts

Final Weekend for getting your assignments done! Marketing ran out of time to send a reminder out, so hopefully some of you will see this! 

Deadline is this coming Thursday....

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
8 months ago
49 posts

Hi everyone,

This was good fun. Started out more acoustic but, as I migrated towards the electronic, it ended up sounding like a 70s TV theme tune!
Anyway, here it is:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/378/brassed-off

Enjoy :)

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
8 months ago
218 posts

[quote="Technic Tone"]

Hi everyone,

This was good fun. Started out more acoustic but, as I migrated towards the electronic, it ended up sounding like a 70s TV theme tune!
Anyway, here it is:

https://community.producertech.com/technic-tone/uploaded_audio/378/brassed-off

Enjoy :)

[/quote] Love it! It almost has a Balkan Brass Band feel to it. Or yes maybe a tv theme. Very fun and upbeat to listen to. I see you even did your own artwork too - impressive happy-1

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
8 months ago
218 posts

[quote="FreethinkerInc"]

Hi all,

here is my contribution to the Brass-Ignment :-). Hope you gonna like it.

https://community.producertech.com/freethinkerinc/uploaded_audio/377/freethinkers-inc-brass-ignment

Kind Regards

Paddy

[/quote] Nice one Paddy - this is a stomper! Real good progression across the song as well, builds very nicely. I also appreciate your low-passing of the horn samples - gives it a sleek quality

FreethinkerInc
FreethinkerInc
@freethinkerinc
8 months ago
49 posts

Hi Samuel,

thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it much.

Good luck for the competition. ;-)

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
8 months ago
49 posts

Hi Samuel,

I wasn't sure what a Balkan Brass band actually sounded like so I've just been listening on YouTube and I see what you mean - but, as they say in the movie credits, 'This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead or actual events is purely coincidental'! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

smillington
@smillington
8 months ago
101 posts

My Entry - hope you enjoy: 
https://community.producertech.com/smillington/uploaded_audio/379/bam-bam

(not sure Ive locked in the name and picture, so may tweak that..)

Loving everything I've heard above; you guys raise the bar everytime!  

updated by @smillington: 08/31/23 05:24:49AM
manixdj
@manixdj
8 months ago
36 posts

Ok so I didn't spend as much time as I wanted to on this and this is the first time I have entered anything like this, so please be gentle! My main aim was to submit an entry so TICK!

PS: I know Rob said in the intro video for this that we should aim for the sounds to be recognisable, and of course some of the samples are clear, but that arpy haunting type pad that comes in at around 2:00 and evolves into a plucky back drop is actually one of the Sax samples! I loved how that sounded so wanted to include it here!  

updated by @manixdj: 08/31/23 06:38:53PM
ben m
ben m
@ben-m
8 months ago
12 posts

Here's my brassignment track, great fun as always!

Brassignment '23 - Ben M | Producertech

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
8 months ago
127 posts

I'll be doing a feedback session for this on Zoom on Tuesday, so hope to see you all there! 

Here's the invite:

Topic: Producertech Member Brass-ignment Feedback Session 
Time: Sep 12, 2023 06:00 PM London 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84422984866

Meeting ID: 844 2298 4866 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
8 months ago
404 posts

No worries! Glad you enjoyed the stream happy-9

Yeah, there could be a good course in that I would say, trying to improve some of the most common issues. There is of course content already made on a lot of these subjects. I could try and reference some here...

- get the bass/kick mix right using monitoring (what we should be looking for..)

Seppa's recent Sub Bass Masterclass is definitely a good one to check out for this, especially using visualisers like Vision 4X, which I was using in the Zoom call.

- how to improve stereo width /side frequency levels 

There's quite a lot of different tutorials on this. My Complete Guide to Stereo Width is a good starting point. I also did a Stereo Width webinar back in 2020. Simon Shackleton has done some good stereo vids as well like Controlling the Stereo Field and Mid-Side EQ

And don't forget the Stereo Width training I did a few year's back too if you want something fun to test out your knowledge in that area.

When it comes to the frequency side of things, as a general rule, you want the bass completely mono and the top end nice and wide, so you normally want to have a slope going in that direction when you look at the side signal on an analyser. So, when you're using a multi-band imager, for instance, often the stereo will be boosted in increasing amounts as the bands go up the spectrum. Jafunk's Pro Mixing Masterclass demonstrates this well - I think in Module 2 Lesson 2.

- improve master mix levels with Multi-band compressor 

Trying to think where this is covered. Obviously the various mastering courses on the website all touch on this to some degree. For instance, module 8 in Mastering Now.

- to use reference track for mix, arrangements

A few courses show this, like Iain Bland's/Maison Records for instance - Classic House Production and Sound Design. Right at the end of that, he brings in a reference track to sort the mixdown. I don't know if there's much showing using a reference track when composing though as yet, other than my Beginner's Guide to Song Arranging - which talks about creating arrangement templates from tracks. 

- how to improve quieter parts adding more FX sounds or audio processing.. etc

The Arranging course I just linked to is also great for this...

Hope this helps! 

updated by @ptmembership: 09/17/23 11:47:08AM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
8 months ago
404 posts

Exactly! There's so much to focus on, it's often hard to get a bigger picture! This is why constructive feedback can be so useful. As we saw on the stream, it can be amazing what slips through the net when you're not paying attention to everything but are instead perhaps micro-focussing on less important details. Most people do this to some extent btw, so definitely don't beat yourself up about it.

There could be a course or some content potentially that evaluates the areas that you should be paying attention to when composing. In other words, to help with the creation of a checklist and putting different weighting or some kind of prioritising on each area of it (although it will vary slightly from genre to genre of course).

smillington
@smillington
7 months ago
101 posts

This is great notes - thanks Rob.  I will work through these and definitely planning to have another go at balancing my track before I release it into the wild..

Great experience as always and I was really impressed with the general quality improvements and wide range of styles in everyone's submissions.

Tags

Dislike 0