New Remix - Losing Love (it's a banger :D )

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

Finished this remix today, just in time for contest deadline :D

https://soundcloud.com/petterjensen/terry-golden-jordan-grace-losing-love-hr-p-remix

Great practice for the Big Banger Challenge. Only vocals remain from original. Feel I'm getting more clarity in production and mixing, but there's always something ... 

As usual any constructive critique or ideas welcome.

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
3 months ago
260 posts

Hi Petter

Great as always! Super musical, great production and nice song arrangement. Not much I would change honestly. Hope it goes well in the contest!

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

Thanks for the kind words as always Sam! Appreciate it :)

No chance in the contest I'm afraid, still a fair bit off the required professional level me, and there were some real good entrants there. Need to do a lot of work to get up there :D

But I've learned loads from the courses here over the last months, so really glad I signed up in the end! Big win. Just finished the last of Simon Shackleton's now - his courses are soooo good. Learning from the best as they say!

manixdj
@manixdj
3 months ago
45 posts

Hey Petter, great track, love vibe and the progression, the arrangement definitely works. Did you master this at all? Only things I'd say is that is lacks bottom end, hence the mastering question. Could do with more bass coming through the mix in general, so not just a mastering thing. Think it would sound even better with that. 

As always I caveat my feedback with it being from an amateur! But great work all the same. 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
3 months ago
260 posts

Honestly I think it was really good, profesh quality - but it's a great attitude to be humble and want to keep improving : - )

Glad to hear you've been learning loads from PT. When did you join?

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

@manixdj Thanks man. Appreciate it! Yes, I did master it – sort of – obviously not exactly to industry standards though ... 
I'm still focused trying to get down the technical aspects of production and mixing first and foremost, so figured it's no real point spending lots of time doing mastering until that's settled (lipstick, pig and all). So it's basically just going through the motions and pushing limiters till it's loud without creating artifacts. 
Lowend is a real is a beast to work with, I'll note your comments too and try figure it out. Thanks again.

@samuelclouston Thanks, personally thinking I'm closing in on 50% there :) That's the easy half. The next 50% will be ever more incremental and difficult, as with any trade. Expect it will take a few years until I'm anywhere near a pro level tbh. If ever :O  --> Practice practice!!
Joined here around Xmas.

manixdj
@manixdj
3 months ago
45 posts

Mastering is an artform (or I'd argue a kind of science) all in on its own! I don't master my own music and tbh I doubt I ever will, because I want to spend my time creating and improving my overall production and mixing skills. I think you have to really have to have an ear to master properly, and whilst it is good to know the basics, most effort and time should go in to your mix, meaning the mastering engineer, or more commonly the AI mastering software does not have to do too much! I only ever use the automated software to master, I find it does the job. Would be different if I was releasing to vinyl or a hard copy medium. 

I wouldn't worry, the only reason I mentioned it was because that may give you some of the presence I was referring to. But thinking about it, you may not even be going for that, I am just a bit of a fiend for bass in my mixes, as my sound is quite driving and so I think it needs it, may be that's not what you were going for. Again, "I'ma no pro!"laughing-2

Keep at it man!

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
3 months ago
260 posts

[quote="Petter"]

@manixdj Thanks man. Appreciate it! Yes, I did master it – sort of – obviously not exactly to industry standards though ... 
I'm still focused trying to get down the technical aspects of production and mixing first and foremost, so figured it's no real point spending lots of time doing mastering until that's settled (lipstick, pig and all). So it's basically just going through the motions and pushing limiters till it's loud without creating artifacts. 
Lowend is a real is a beast to work with, I'll note your comments too and try figure it out. Thanks again.

@samuelclouston Thanks, personally thinking I'm closing in on 50% there :) That's the easy half. The next 50% will be ever more incremental and difficult, as with any trade. Expect it will take a few years until I'm anywhere near a pro level tbh. If ever :O  --> Practice practice!!
Joined here around Xmas.

[/quote]For someone who's only been a member since Xmas you're progressing very fast! You should be proud

Petter
Petter
@petter
3 months ago
74 posts

@manixdj I hear you man. For now my stuff is just practice, so no need to overdo it I think. 

@samuelclouston Yeah, thanks, but you know it never feels that fast when you're the one driving :) 

Tags

Dislike 0