Next Member Livestream - Tuesday 21st November - 18.00 GMT - LIVE 12 SNEAK PEAK!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
6 months ago
405 posts

Join Rob at 18.00 UK TIME on Tuesday for a look at Ableton Live 12, some tips for the Xmassignment, plus the usual giveaways and latest PT news...

Check the LIVESTREAMS section to tune in.

joyful-2

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
6 months ago
224 posts

Ableton 12 is exciting! Do you get some kind of industry-insider sneak peak?

smillington
@smillington
6 months ago
101 posts

Im thinking of taking the plunge into Ableton Live in this recent sale and wondering if 'Standard' would give me enough to work with, or whether I would end up regretting pushing the boat out for 'Suite'.  Any chance you could outline your thoughts on this on the stream Rob? Any other views from the community would be appreciated as well :-)

deltadio
@deltadio
6 months ago
55 posts

[quote="smillington"]

Im thinking of taking the plunge into Ableton Live in this recent sale and wondering if 'Standard' would give me enough to work with, or whether I would end up regretting pushing the boat out for 'Suite'.  Any chance you could outline your thoughts on this on the stream Rob? Any other views from the community would be appreciated as well :-)

[/quote]

You know you can see the items (clicking on the plus signs) that the standard and suite license contains (https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/); the main difference are of course sound packs, software instruments and audio effects. I wouldn't be swayed by the packs and software instruments alone (almost never use the packs myself), but the significant difference in audio effects would always have me choose for suite. Once a suite licensee you can look forward to quite reasonable upgrade prices (with approx. twice a year a short 20% discount campaign). I tend to defer my upgrades but like now the other day I upgraded to v.11 with a free upgrade to v.12. Having said that a future upgrade from standard to suite also carries a reasonable price tag and if you already use external plugins for your audio fx you might as well go with 'Standard'. Alternatively it is sometimes possible to buy e.g. a software instrument separately (like 'Operator') so you could customize/extend your standard version (I assume this to be the case considering the layout of the Ableton shop). A LoopCloud happy acquaintance of mine is perfectly content with the 16 track "Intro" version, I could never convince him to go "Standard" or even upgrade to a higher version of "Intro" that does away with the 8 scene max per track (it is a workable 16 now)!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
6 months ago
405 posts

What do you reckon then guys? and Mr Millington? More excited about Live 12 now? What looked most interesting? Does it look worth it to get Suite?

For anyone who hasn't seen the stream, the main USPs of Live 12 Suite over Live 12 Standard are...

• Max 4 Live - bit of a biggie really, although I think it may still be sold separately?

• Meld (pretty cool new synth - reckon it will have some nice presets when they're done)

• Roar (very cool new audio effect) 

• all of the audio effects you didn't get in v 11, e.g. Echo, Hybrid Reverb, Amp, Cabinet, Spectral stuff like Resonator, plus all the Max 4 Live ones!

• other Suite instruments like Operator, Sampler and Wavetable

• Packs! There are a hell of a lot and I also have very few but there may well be a lot of quality ones - 198 are currently available to download in my browser. I'll have to delve into some of them and let you know...

So that's quite a lot of gooood stuff there, a fair bit of which would be quite sorely missed if you had to downgrade. If you do have a great plugin collection though and wouldn't miss those instruments and particularly effects, or can buy some of the ones you would as @deltadio said, then maybe standard is fine.

For anyone who won't be upgrading, the good news is you get Analog, Collision, Tension and Electric (former Suite instruments) in the Standard version from v12! joyful-2

deltadio
@deltadio
6 months ago
55 posts

Thanks for that action packed session, endearing to see Rob on occasion be so self-deprecating about his musical improvisations. I am bit bummed that I wasn't quick enough to try and guess the 'mystery carol' in the comments, I could have sworn it to be "Süßer Trost, mein Jesus kömmt" by Noddy.

I am bit worried that Ableton is falling over themselves to stay fresh and relevant, from what I have seen v12 is quite a departure from v10 and v11. Not a night and day difference, but far beyond a mere incremental difference. Will be interesting to see how Bitwig will push the envelope in response. 

Quick question: does the v12 loopcloudy breakdown of sounds and presets (?) also extend to "places" where you might have added 3rd party sounds? I am guessing that is not the case and the new function only helps to optimize the (long overdue) searchability of Ableton's own resources.

smillington
@smillington
6 months ago
101 posts

Sorry I had to miss most of the session but caught up later.  Was massively impressed at how you just nonchalantly drew out all the parts for the coventry carol Rob!
Am thinking of going down the slightly more blatant route in my submission, but will see how it goes, when I get catch the inspiration..
Also thanks @deltadio and @Rob for all the Ableton Live info - was really helpful. I also checked other videos about Max 4 live as well and see what you mean about that - it definitely looks like Suite is worth the extra bucks.  I think I may still start with Standard and upgrade later - as I can probably work around the gaps with plugins anyway...  

Tags

Dislike 0