Bam Bam v2

smillington
@smillington
8 months ago
101 posts

Following the Bassignment feedback I've updated the track paying more attention to the bass of my submission, which was noticeably thin on the sub frequencies..
I pushed up the sub bass and added some dynamic eq on some of the resonant frequencies of the bass as well. Ended up turning down the gain of the bass by 3-4 db to avoid drowning everything with bass.  

Would love to hear some feedback on this tweak.

Thanks in advance

https://community.producertech.com/smillington/uploaded_audio/386/bam-bam-v2

smillington
@smillington
8 months ago
101 posts

Having brought out the bass line more, I realised that it was sounding too repetitive, so had to go back a step and make some musical tweaks off the back of this - so please ignore the previous link which I've deleted:  
https://community.producertech.com/smillington/uploaded_audio/387/bam-bam-v2

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
8 months ago
228 posts

Hi Simon

The bass is actually sounding a lot better and thicker. It also sits a bit better in relation to the element of the track. I would actually say that the horns are not a bit too dominant, they could probably be turned town a tad and sit back in the mix a little more.

It also sounds like you have a sort off slap-bass-guitar bassline one track, and the sub on another, but it seems to be that there's a degree of seperation between the two - a gap in frequencies almost. I think the track would sound more cohesive if you got the balance between your mid-bass and your sub-bass a little better. I'm not sure if what I've said entirely makes sense, so maybe Rob can let us know his thoughts.

Really good effort and an improvement, which is all that matters!

updated by @samuelclouston: 10/02/23 10:46:01AM
smillington
@smillington
8 months ago
101 posts

Hi Sam - I see what you mean about the separation between bass lines - although I wouldn't know what to do to fix it (maybe glue compression and/or finding a new bass part to sit in between the others).  Yeah probably some more balance issues to fix as well between the parts.  Here was me thinking that the track was pretty much nailed, but making some minor tweaks in one element leads to other things not being right..
Well sometimes the best thing you can do is release it and move on and incorporate improvements in the next one relieved
Great learning experience on this assignment and I really appreciate your feedback.     

Technic Tone
Technic Tone
@technic-tone
7 months ago
51 posts

Hi Simon,

I totally agree. I often think its best to move on to the next track and try and incorporate what you've learned before into that, otherwise you may never end up creating anything new :)

admin
admin
@ptmembership
7 months ago
408 posts

Hi Simon. It's getting better all the time. Still loving it btw! Balancing parts can be a really tricky thing to get right. I agree with Sam in that the horns are too dominant. The bass is sat at a better level, but the drums are too quiet now. This is the stand out thing for me when I listen on my iMac speakers. The drums are too thin and quiet. Up their level and then do some serious buss processing - compression, parallel compression, saturation, EQ, limiting.... etc. 

I'm just listening on headphones to see if I can hear the sub and mid bass thing Sam mentioned... yeah I can hear a bit of gelling is required on bass sounds, although this is most obvious on the breaks when you get other, toppier, more processed basses coming in. They sound most different and 'separated' to me. I would suggest running all your bass sounds through a fat buss as well. 

Have you watched Reso's Drum And Bass Beats and also Bass Masterclasses? I think they'd be useful to you....

Sounding really nice though Simon. Good work! 

updated by @ptmembership: 10/12/23 08:27:28PM
smillington
@smillington
7 months ago
101 posts

Ahh - thanks so much for the advice and prod towards a course; just what I needed.  Definitely can hear exactly what you and Sam mean - so thats half the battle..   

Tags

Dislike 0