Spotify royalties

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
5 months ago
219 posts

I'm sure this has probably been discussed on the forum before, but what do people think about Spotify's rate of royalty pay?

https://musictech.com/news/music/hainbach-spotify-earnings-breakdown/

This producer only earned 2 grand from a million plays, which is pretty mindblowing. But then again, when you buy an album on vinyl say, you can listen to it as many times as you want, without paying any more - so is it unfair?

Let me know your thoughts

Menace
Menace
@menace
5 months ago
5 posts

I agree mate, we need insight into this ~ to me it feels like exploitation 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
5 months ago
219 posts

[quote="Menace"]

I agree mate, we need insight into this ~ to me it feels like exploitation 

[/quote]

Unfortunately I think it is exploitation! But then again, if there are hundreds of thousands of artists on spotify, supply and demand - musicians are always gonna make less money than the hyeday of the industry, right?

deltadio
@deltadio
5 months ago
55 posts

I am not there yet, but even a pathetic monthly streaming income of say, $25 (for a period of say 18 months) would totally validate my musical endeavors in contrast with the vast army of dreamers and dabblers who make diddly squat. I love the idea of passive income and since AI is busy wiping out the industry any revenue from this sinking ship is a boon to me. That $25 pittance might fire me up to find ways to improve upon that number. I realize that even $25 streaming revenue in today's industry is not easily obtained: "Spotify pays artists between $0.003 - $0.005 per stream on average" so that would require approx. 8500 streams p.m. to reach that figure on that platform.

Somehow that doesn't seem unattainable and that's why I resubscribed to ProducerTech and I will be setting learning goals for 2024 and subsequent production goals asap.

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 months ago
219 posts

Wow - i hadn't actually thought to work out a specific amount but 25 quid from 8500 plays a month doesn't seem much. I like your attitiude though, and it should be more common, that even making a penny from doing what you love is kind of a blessing - especially when the market is more saturated than ever!

Always good to set goals. Maybe we should come back at the start of 2025 and check in?

deltadio
@deltadio
4 months ago
55 posts

[quote="SamuelClouston"]

Wow - i hadn't actually thought to work out a specific amount but 25 quid from 8500 plays a month doesn't seem much. I like your attitiude though, and it should be more common, that even making a penny from doing what you love is kind of a blessing - especially when the market is more saturated than ever!

Always good to set goals. Maybe we should come back at the start of 2025 and check in?

[/quote]

Always like your positive outlook! See my other post with regard to "Musical New Years Resolutions", I have to cram in a lot of tuts but I am fairly confident that eventually I have leveled up on the skills enabling me to (pretty much) go where I want, "start of 2025" sounds great, the year itself has a pleasant ring to it, it is almost insisting that memorable works should be produced that year. Poor 2024, it only has just begun, but for me it's just a(n essential) launching platform for magical 2025. Geopolitical and Environmental situation permitting that is and of course a sustained level of solid personal health, physical and mental (and so many other things should line up it is almost daunting if not outright depressing).... 

deltadio
@deltadio
4 months ago
55 posts

BTW, not quite my usual cup of tea, but recently I really got excited about a Punjabi rapper called 'Sidhu Moose Wala'. I learned that he had "the first Indian album to have more than 1 billion streams on Spotify" (!!!) but then getting the gist of the comments in a particularly good track of his ['Dawood'] I realized he is no longer with us, murdered on 29 May 2022 [Wikipedia]. Makes you think, doesn't it? Vanitas vanitatum, omnia vanitas. sick-3

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 months ago
219 posts

I'm sure the world and the environment will hold out just long enough for all of us to achieve our niche music production goals... hopefully!

You should get involved in the Community competitions, not sure I saw you enter the last one, the Xmassignment (although I may be wrong) - good way to measure your skills against older iterations of yourself in my experience!

I just looked up Moose - that is very, very sad. Crazy how many rappers die in their 20s. Gonna check him out this afternoon, thanks for the rec.. Maybe oen of us will one day reach 1 billion streams

Tags

Dislike 0