Beginner question about mastering using Ozone

Abhi
Abhi
@abhi
last year
7 posts

Question about mastering - please see this https://share.getcloudapp.com/wbuvzyze

1) Here, I have several tracks with output to bus2, in bus 2, I add ozone 9 for mastering, am I doing it right?

2) If yes, why should my master strip remain empty?

3) Do I need the strip on extreme right? Am a bit confused with this.

4) When I do apply Ozone 9, the sound comes torn and distorted, as I suspect it increases the volume. Anyway to optimize it for streaming without tearing the sound 

5) Can you show me a simple barebones example of a master bus channel?

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
408 posts

1. No, you don't need to bus tracks for mastering, you can just have Ozone on the master channel. Buses allow you to group certain tracks together, e.g. drums on one bus, bass on another etc., after which you can apply group mixing (some people do call this mastering) of those tracks with whatever effects you want but not normally Ozone, which is reserved for the master channel.

2. n/a

3. You do need the master channel strip, just lose the bus

4. Ozone shouldn't be distorting the sound. This is dependent on a lot of things though, so not an easy question to answer! 

5. Did you check out the beginners mastering rack we've provided for members? It's a good way of getting to know the basic processes you should be thinking about if wanting to apply some mastering to your tracks. 

Also, check out our mastering courses.... Producer's Guide to DIY mastering. Also, Ozone tutorials. 

HRVST
HRVST
@hrvst
last year
3 posts

Focus on nailing your mixdown before even considering mastering. 

A great master depends on a great mixdown which depends on a great arrangement which depends on a great recording and so forth.

Another formerly common train of thought is that mastering should be handled by a 3rd party who's ears aren't fatigued by the music already from creating it and all that. When you've heard the same thing 1000 times, it gets really hard to be objective and that 2nd set of ears can help you identify things you've missed in your mixdown. 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
408 posts

Sound advice

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
226 posts

I've always lived by the advice of don't master in your mix project - export, then master in a new project. It ensures you are happy with your mix before mastering (in the same project, you can keep tweaking, not always a good thing). Furthermore, its a little easier on your CPU!

Abhi
Abhi
@abhi
last year
7 posts

Great advice @Tamlinspeaks and @hrvst

Tags

Dislike 0