Mix help

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
5 months ago
260 posts

Hello everyone

Thanks for your recent feedback on some tunes I've posted - really helps motivation!

I've been working on something new recently:

https://on.soundcloud.com/dzKXALh34PurzBAfA

But i've been struggling with a problem where I feel like the whole thing sounds over-compressed/squashed and kinda lifeless - and I haven't done any mixing really other than volume - has anyone got any tips on why this might be happening? Is it just the sounds? I have done a bit of sidechaining, maybe over using that is causing it. Just want soem second opinions!

manixdj
@manixdj
5 months ago
47 posts

Hey Samuel, nice track and arrangement! Something a bit different again. Hard to tell exactly what it is due to my amateur ear! However I agree it does sound quite constrained and if you've not done any kind of processing yet, perhaps it is the sounds you are using? It does sound a bit muddy in places and perhaps needs some EQ to help? There is a brighter, slightly shining sound that seems to appear right at the end that perhaps stands out above the lower frequencies? Not sure that is anywhere else and perhaps using some brighter sounds would add some dynamic range and open it all up a bit more? 

Have you also tried turning the sidechaining off one by one? That could definitely be containing some of the sounds. What are you sidechaining from and how many of the sounds are affected? 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 months ago
260 posts

[quote="manixdj"]

Hey Samuel, nice track and arrangement! Something a bit different again. Hard to tell exactly what it is due to my amateur ear! However I agree it does sound quite constrained and if you've not done any kind of processing yet, perhaps it is the sounds you are using? It does sound a bit muddy in places and perhaps needs some EQ to help? There is a brighter, slightly shining sound that seems to appear right at the end that perhaps stands out above the lower frequencies? Not sure that is anywhere else and perhaps using some brighter sounds would add some dynamic range and open it all up a bit more? 

Have you also tried turning the sidechaining off one by one? That could definitely be containing some of the sounds. What are you sidechaining from and how many of the sounds are affected? 

[/quote]

good advice, seriously  - I tried turning off sidechains 1 by 1 and it was one sidechain that I had a few different tracks running through that was the culprit. The whole thing has come to life now - classic.

I know sidechaining is a form of compression, but it seems that if you overdoit, you can get that general 'overcompressed the entire track' vibe, which is pretty horrible.

I'll also try add some brightness too!

manixdj
@manixdj
4 months ago
47 posts

Glad it was some help! Maybe I am learning happy-11

Tags

Dislike 0