Mastering - where to get it down and how much to pay

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 years ago
265 posts

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with mastering. Do they have recommended mastering engineers they use? Or they do it themselves? And how much is a ballpark number to pay when you're starting out?

I've heard some reccomendations before but wanted to get everyone's opinions!

Cheers

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
2 years ago
129 posts

I'm pretty interested to know any experience people have had too. With mixing as well as mastering. I've tried a few different services over the years, to make comparisons with my mixes and/or save time and haven't had a huge amount of success honestly! I know there have to be plenty of good ones out there but I've not found any personally yet.

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

How much to pay? What that producer charges...

Producing yourself? Well... that works IF you have had thousands of hours producing others. Then and ONLY then are you able to separate ego from intention. Critical listening skills come after years of immersion, focus and intention. And, even then... you better walk away and do something else... THEN come back with fresh ears. Go listen to what you love, and forget for a few. Then get back to work and LISTEN.

As a "corporate" guy, I've mastered everything from vocalists and music to jingles and parody songs to commercials for broadcast. For years I was the 'last line of defense' before it hits the air. And if a mistake hits the air, it doesn't matter why or how or anything. The ONLY thing that matters is a mistake was broadcast... and that's even an out-of-date :07 second liner. A mistake broadcast to the public, no matter how minor, is a mistake that can get you fired.

I was fired once in my ENTIRE broadcast career... ONCE... and exactly for such a simple mistake. So, even getting that experience is fraught with difficulty. I know other DJ/Host/Producers that were fired a dozen times or more... 

Find a producer that both likes your sound, and you like their style (based on other work). Hire that person and pay them what they charge. Don't hire a rando hoe, that will care like.... meh.... just because they charge ___, high or low. Hire someone that cares about YOU or YOUR journey, and is willing to help that along.  That is worth your money... whatever the cost. 

AND... IF I MAY VOLUNTEER... @robjones has the experience and the skill to do work like that. How much he would charge, OR if he could even take on the role... no idea. I'm just saying he has the ear, skill and patience (he deals with us right?) to take an artist in a direction... if that's the direction you want to go???? No idea. 

Yes, it's hard to find the right producer. 

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
last year
265 posts

I appreciate it Better Led, for your very detailed answer! 

Tags

Dislike 0