Tech House practice - Trippin'

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 weeks ago
46 posts

Trying my luck with some tech house style - while watching Simon Shackleton's course (which is really good btw!)

Since Rob encouraged me to start off with the groove only, I hereby oblige. This is the beats and bass from what I hope will be the drop section (gonna be 16+16, but only included 8+8).

Drums are samples I found and processed a bit. Bass rhythm is adapted from a sample, but I used two instances of Vital to create the sound for it - and of course some EQ, compressors and distortion.

Now waiting with bated breath for the 'judgement' creepy

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
2 weeks ago
219 posts

[quote="Petter"]

Trying my luck with some tech house style - while watching Simon Shackleton's course (which is really good btw!)

Since Rob encouraged me to start off with the groove only, I hereby oblige. This is the beats and bass from what I hope will be the drop section (gonna be 16+16, but only included 8+8).

Drums are samples I found and processed a bit. Bass rhythm is adapted from a sample, but I used two instances of Vital to create the sound for it - and of course some EQ, compressors and distortion.

Now waiting with bated breath for the 'judgement' creepy

[/quote]

Hey this is great!

I know it's just a clip from a section, but it sounds very strong. The drums and bass, the essential heart of a track, are pretty damn good here. Simple, catchy and groovy, with nice punch.

I don't think we can do too much artistic judgement til we here the finished track...

Petter
Petter
@petter
one week ago
46 posts

RIght, updated the track to a full version. Not sure it got as minimalist as Rob wished, but yeah ... I'm getting carried away a bit.

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
6 days ago
219 posts

Hey Petter this is great!

I know you said you had an initial goal which was to be minimal, but at the end of the day, if you have a good idea, just go with the flow and let that creativity out! And it's worked really well.

You've obviously got a natural musical style, with good ear for arrangement (the interplay between bass, beats, horn/synths and vocals), and the mixdown, as well as making the track flow without getting stale/boring.

Honestly really good! Not much I could say in terms of improvement. perhaps the hi hats are a bit low quality? That could be some kind of down-compression on the site though, unsure.

Keep it up!

Petter
Petter
@petter
6 days ago
46 posts

Thanks Sam!

Yeah, there's something nagging me a little about the hats, shaker and ride ... haven't figured it out yet ...

smillington
@smillington
6 days ago
101 posts

Really liking the track @petter - great structure and I really like the interplay between the vocals and how the instruments work together nicely.   Keep them coming

Tags

Dislike 0