How to make a (commercial) Sample Pack

deltadio
@deltadio
3 years ago
55 posts
I have a huge sample library (like you probably, dear reader!) and I am talking about terabytes of sample libraries that I actually paid for (i.e. I am licensed to use them)! I guess I have what might be called (analog to the infamous GAS ‘Gear Acquisition Syndrome’) ‘Sample Pack Acquisition Syndrome’ although I don’t think its acronym will catch on any time soon.

Now having an analytical disposition I am able to figure out how most sample packs are composed and compiled and for sure I have some opinions on packs that have construction kits in them and packs that don’t include any midi etc. etc.

If there is any money to be made in that particular industry is also an interesting question but that is not what we should be concerned with. Any sample pack is bound to fall prey to piracy but nowadays we also have monetizing avenues like Bandcamp, Splice and Loopcloud etc. that were absent in the old days. Ultimately our talent will decide what opportunities are in sight for our home made sample pack, but first we have to learn how to make one.

It could be interesting to share what we think a decent sample pack has to offer, but obviously I would be even more interested if Rob Jones would give it his definitive treatment in a Producertech tutorial!

-----------

This is some rambling I wrote about lone producers and their cottage industry of sample packs who manage to look BIG but that simply goes to underpin my suggestion that we too as aspiring producers could take a crack at making sample packs (at some point)…

I also noticed that quite a few sample pack labels are just the output of a lone and fairly talented musician who is trying to keep up with music trends and sell freshly baked kits (in genres in which that artist has no track record on) to the kids. Still, in order to sell these packs that musician still has to compose a little ditty that will have to lure in the buyers, so it is fair to say that sample packs, all things considered, require a fair bit of talent. Obviously, there are also large players in that market who are able to invite talented artists of some renown asking them to condense their genre and/or style into a sample pack. There are also sample labels that just crank out samples by the thousands and I often wonder if they are not just reselling the samples from companies that bit the dust because of software/audio piracy. Anyway, we don’t have to do investigative journalism on the industry to conclude that some labels are just run by a one man band that is trying to make it look like the brand represents a fancy music production behemoth.

RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
3 years ago
129 posts
That could well be a good set of tutorials or livestream potentially. I did already do a bonus tutorial series during lockdown in 2020 showing how to make your own samples from recordings in the home. That may well contain a lot of the techniques you're after. Click on BONUS TUTORIALS and then the Sound Design tab, and then they're on page 3.....

In terms of who is actually making samples, there are a wide range of producers as you've guessed. When it comes to Loopmasters at least, they have a load of in-house guys, who are pro and semi-pro producers. Then they other pro artists in to make packs for them too. So it's a mixed bag really, with making samples being a nice job on the side for musicians, where their sample packs could end up making more money than their music! And also an option for producers and sound designers with perhaps less ambition who don't necessarily want to put out music but can apply their skills to making materials for other producers instead. It can be very lucrative if you build up a big portfolio and are earning royalties on everything!
deltadio
@deltadio
3 years ago
55 posts
Thx for that info! Only recently I discovered the livestream archive and its treasure trove character, I'll check out this particular vid swiftly. It might constitute a nice side business for some but I also noticed that some labels have multiple distributors/resellers with entirely different pricing schemes (for the same packs) often with 50% differences (and sometimes promos slash the lower price even in half) ; behind this I suspect are sample pack makers who are pretty desperate to monetize their struggling (?) packs. This phenomenon can also be spotted with tutorials, like courses apparently licensed to ADSR but also sold if not flogged on author's own websites (sometimes with Instagram campaign) resulting in people buying a hefty price for something that could be had for a pittance because the author sold his/her course to other distributors/resellers in the past. Almost walked into that trap but google was my friend.

What also strikes me that individual sample packs rarely receive buyer/end-user reviews, sometimes you'll see the odd review on 'sample pack bundles' mostly triggered by one or two 'useless' fillers (they always manage to slip in a didgeridoo pack* in those bundles!); I guess sample packs are just 'commodities' quite useless in and of themselves but only of some utility when actually used in a track (even then possibly only as a temporary placeholder [elitist: 'as they should be!').

Anyway, the Loopcloud app is the savior of any old sample pack collecting digital dust on hard drives, it has (kind of) curated every sample I ever bought and made them musical options in a delightful microcosm of sonic possibilities. Best discovery for me in years! Always disliked Splice for reasons I cannot even explain.

* How is that for a challenge? Make a song out of (...or just enough...like >= 5) didgeridoo samples and make it not suck!
updated by @deltadio: 10/12/21 07:11:30PM

Tags

Dislike 0