Req: Progressive House + Deep House + Melodic House + Melodic Techno course(s)

deltadio
@deltadio
3 months ago
55 posts

There is a whole parallel universe out there with Melodic Techno and Progressive/Deep/Melodic House, lots of dance events with DJs dedicated to these (conflated) music genres (although mostly defined and cleverly marketed as Progressive House) and plenty of YouTube starlets (like [both Ukrainian] Korolova and Miss Monique) who combine (some) music production with DJing doing gigs and sets all over the globe.

I need to stress that (as you know) Progressive House as a genre is very broad, it often used to have (slightly grating) Big Room influences but the current dominant trend is more mellow, soulful ... like: 

Listen for instance to this sweet lil banger from the Ukrainian producer 'Max Freegrant' (=Kysil Maxim) [YouTube Channel] who has an insane track catalogue with quite a few Beatport bops:

Max Freegrant & Slow Fish - Remedy (Extended Mix) [YouTube] [Alt1]

Surely there are plenty of courses out there? No, not really. Even less when you exclude the now quite dated Big Room infected tutorials.

deltadio
@deltadio
3 months ago
55 posts

A few kindred (sub)genres worth mentioning:

• Deep Techno
  • Melodic Tech-House
  • Melodic Deep House
  • Melodic Progressive House

Very likely that I missed numerous others 'melodic' or 'prog' subgenres...

admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 months ago
404 posts

Numerous 'Melodic' genres are appearing these days. It probably indicates a yearning for more musical/emotive dance music to break up the mindless monotony of a lot of House and Techno. Sometimes less musical is exactly what a dancefloor needs mind!

That Max Freegrant track is pretty lush. I love the breakdown especially!

Did you check Simon Shackleton's EPIC 21-hour tutorial journey on the Producertech site starting HERE?

We can definitely put some more Melodic House/Techno tuts together though... I will make them a priority over the coming weeks...

admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 months ago
404 posts

On the Melodic front btw, I generally enjoy the tracks Gabriel Ananda plays on his Soulful Techno pod.

deltadio
@deltadio
3 months ago
55 posts

Thx 4 that fb @ptmembership. I have now started to watch "Simon Shackleton's Melodic Deep Tech House and Techno Production [Pt. 1]", I'll make sure I won't drop out at  that layered kick treatment it begins with... 

As a PT member I perhaps should feel a little bit stupid not knowing about the wealth of resources on PT but this seems to be a theme among many a member. It would suggest the site could benefit by offering more structure, more themes and pathways (or a better sort of membership clientele of course). 

Gabriel Ananda set sounds nice, I could quibble about some choices and those chatty interludes but I now follow him on SoundCloud, but he'd better stop chatting or I'm out! I am soooo over the (even when unintended or peripheral) 'radio format', chat + music + chat, in fact I can't endure it all any longer, seems that the insane proliferation of social media has made this sort of commentary/opinion entirely redundant and worthless (yes, that would include my own!)

The format of a pretty woman* dj-ing in a panoramic outdoor setting (without an audience except for a few drones) is arguably quite ludicrous, and having them spin from  a converted bedroom or a windy rooftop is not making things necessarily better. Still, they were my gateway to Melodic Techno/Progressive House & such. Subtract the visual elements from those vids and you often have a very nice audio set. Some haters would say even their playlists are AI/App generated but esp. because some of these YT DJs are legitimate producers and/or bona fide DJs I'd like them to give the benefit of the doubt (and no matter what: these playlists are pretty good). I already mentioned two of them, but I might as well mention a few others because the aggregate of their sets chart the Meltech/ProgHouse territory quite well:

1. Nora en Pure  (the ice-queen of them all)
  2. Sara Kraz  (my new favorite with some interesting musical choices)
  3. Korolova  (one of the A-brands,DJ + Producer)
  4. Miss Monique  (one of the A-brands,DJ + Producer)
  5. DeepMe 
  6. ARi (aka Metasin? Also accomplished singer)  
  7. Mila Rubio  

* the male equivalent does exist, feel free to share your faves!

updated by @deltadio: 02/10/24 07:32:35AM
deltadio
@deltadio
one month ago
55 posts

Rather quiet on the forum. I propose the PT community should include a new section where we can suggest and discuss 'bangers'. The format should be something like: tell us about a track you particularly like, what is it about this track that blows your mind, are there sound-design, arrangement, composition facets etc. that stand out? Is there a how-did-they-do-it question you would like PT to solve? Obviously there should be a link to a publicly accessible version of the song and in your 'advocacy' you should rise above the mere assertion that you dig that song.

This idea of mine got started with the Max Freegrant banger I introduced in this discussion thread and today I rediscovered another lil Melodic House banger MEDUZA - Tell It To My Heart (Live Performance Video) ft. Hozier that  has spawned many a remix [remix 1] [remix 2] [remix 3]  (and quite a few more). I find it invigorating to share and discuss music like this and I am sure the process could broaden my musical horizon, listening and enjoying tracks that I otherwise (probably) wouldn't have stumbled upon. Even not sharing the enthusiasm someone has about a track could be helpful in shaping one's own predilection and style etc.

admin
admin
@ptmembership
4 weeks ago
404 posts

This is an excellent suggestion! I guess the quietness is mostly down to a mad last week with a new baby arriving this end laughing-1 and people needing to take up the slack elsewhere to make up for that. Also, the assignment finished, so things always quieten down slightly till the next one.

In any case, new bonus content on the way very shortly..... new samples as well as the next few parts in the Future Rave series we hope you've been enjoying? 

Let's get this bangers thread started too though...

Tags

Dislike 0