New house track - Briannas Musings

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
74 posts

This has been in the works for a while - started before the banger challenge, and I considered it for my entry there. It is heavily inspired by Jaydee's classic 'Plastic Dreams' (another 90's), but ultimately I decided it was not banging enough, so went with that other stuff ...

https://community.producertech.com/petter/uploaded_audio/431/briannas-musings

Appreciate all feedback as usual :D

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
432 posts

Love the groove in this one! It may not be hugely banging but it's certainly getting me moving!

The arrangement is a touch static. Melodically, it's awesome. Plenty of changes and things happening with the organ themes, although they could have had a bit of support with a background synth or pad perhaps. I'd definitely like to hear more fills, drops, risers - not huge ones but just something to make the transitions more interesting and less abrupt. 

The breakdown bit when the bass drops out for instance, could also have a supporting pad or strings come in at that point, maybe a soft impact to announce the break, a filter sweep perhaps, maybe an automated reverb/delay or a different spacial effect, all accompanied by a noise or FX sweep to build into the next section. What you have is okay but would sound much stronger with these sorts of supporting/structural elements, which also help to carry the energy through the track.

Anyway, lovely track so far. Definitely would fit well in the Jalapeno Records/Kraak and Smaak mixes I listen to from time to time.

Petter
Petter
@petter
one month ago
74 posts

Thanks a lot!! 
Yeah, I tried to keep it rather close to the reference, which is a pretty odd cool tune tbh, so structure and arrangement is rather more static than I usually prefer.

Anyway, implemented a few of your suggestions, some very subtle synths and a few reverse organ reverbs. Think it works, but not sure I want to add anything more, as it kind of detracts to the minimalist feel imo ...

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
one month ago
260 posts

Yes, as Rob says, this is certainly fonky shiz! Great swing on the organ - is that you playing it in live?

I second Rob's comments, and would also like the mix to sound a lot chunkier and fuller. Sounds a bit tinny/thin at the moment.

Still, very musical and enjoyable to listen nonetheless!

Petter
Petter
@petter
4 weeks ago
74 posts

Thanks Sam!

Yeah, I wish that was me playing - and honestly I did try actually, but turns out I'm not an organ player :D  So the organ part is a collection of samples, tuned, layered, chopped and processed. 

Tags

Dislike 0