Ambient/Euphoric Breaks Track

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 weeks ago
219 posts

Hi all

I have a large library of tunes that I never release but like to put up on soundcloud, but many of them I made a while back and would like to think I've improved a lot. So in that vein - can you give me feedback on this track? I think it's a bit over compressed and not well mixed but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

https://soundcloud.com/tamlinspeaks/agora-m25-scm1?si=ed4a1f63b6394fa28a1f57222d77aa5f&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Petter
Petter
@petter
4 weeks ago
46 posts

Cool tune. To my still untrained ears there seems to be a little too much harsh frequencies - especially in the intro which is otherwise very mellow ambient. When the beat comes in, it feels too busy to me. Possibly needing some level adjustments, as it seems everything fights a bit?

I think if you mix it over and give it more of that lovely 'liquid' sound you had on the other track, this would be really nice though. 

If I can humbly give a tip to try; at the breakdown 3:40, wait with the main bass synth, let it settle a bit and then filter it in along with other elements to get a bit more contrast in arrangement. And more filtering + automation throughout. I love automation, it gives such lovely movement through the song, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, kind of :D

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
4 weeks ago
219 posts

[quote="Petter"]

Cool tune. To my still untrained ears there seems to be a little too much harsh frequencies - especially in the intro which is otherwise very mellow ambient. When the beat comes in, it feels too busy to me. Possibly needing some level adjustments, as it seems everything fights a bit?

I think if you mix it over and give it more of that lovely 'liquid' sound you had on the other track, this would be really nice though. 

If I can humbly give a tip to try; at the breakdown 3:40, wait with the main bass synth, let it settle a bit and then filter it in along with other elements to get a bit more contrast in arrangement. And more filtering + automation throughout. I love automation, it gives such lovely movement through the song, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, kind of :D

[/quote] 

Thanks for the really detailed feedback Petter, suuuuper useful!

I have listened to that song so many times I couldn't really hear it for what it was anymore.

You're definitely right about the high end being harsh - I think it's a particular tambourine sample I've layered (I find tambourine samples are always pretty nasty when it comes to harsh high end freqs). I might eq it or just swap it out completely.

Good tip about automation too. If I'm right in remembering, I created this track as a live set, so it's blocked out in a rudimentary way - automation would do a world of wonders to keep a bit more movement and flow.

Again, really appreciate your support and advice. Will remix and get your ears on it again in future. 

Tags

Dislike 0