Would you admit to using AI in music?

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
7 months ago
228 posts

Hey

I just came across this fun article. https://completemusicupdate.com/musicians-are-shy-about-admitting-ai-use-survey-finds/

Apparently 52% of musicians interviewed would NOT admit to using AI in their music. It got me thinking - would I? I guess I would - feels cheap and deceptive to try and get away with not crediting AI.

But then it reminded me of the gate keepy types who say that using presets on synths is cheating etc because you should design your own sounds - but then can you apply that to a piano or a guitar? Not really, in my opinion.

Is hating on AI as cheating just the latest in a series of 'new thing bad, old thing good' scenarios? Don't you think an engineer who worked in an all-analog studio in the 60's would think that cranking out a track on Ableton in a few hours is cheating too?

I'm interested in what people think!

Dropping some AI Tech House in here for fun too: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0hO9Jc3q8

updated by @samuelclouston: 11/03/23 12:58:29PM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
7 months ago
408 posts

In my mind, there's a limit to how much the AI could do before it becomes 'cheating' and most producers won't reach that limit. The people who are most likely to use it to the extreme, e.g. use a prompt of make a track in the style of so and so with lyrics made by Chat GPT and then hitting go, are people with zero skills or interest in making music but just those needing a track quickly without any effort. YouTubers for instance, in need of some backing for their videos. 

That said, if you're a producer who uses samples regularly and you get hold of AI that can create high quality samples for you, like making epic drum loops or coming up with totally original basslines, then I'm sure you'd have no issue making the most of that - it's the same as before, only the samples you use will only be owned by you (and perhaps better and quicker to make)! People who call using samples cheating right now (which is ridiculous) will definitely think the same in that instance, although there's not much difference really.

I'd certainly be curious to play with a system that was capable of that. It could mean the end of the sample industry though so that's not great! If I'm honest though, if there was technology capable of sample creation of that nature, I would definitely use it on occasions but if would never completely replace the desire to design sounds and produce beats, and all the fun you can have getting into that yourself. It depends on the day, what mood you're in, how much time you have... etc.

As they briefly said in that article, it will probably most likely just provide tools that will help speed up workflow and allow producers to go in new and different directions, much like it has already in the world of video and gaming. I'm mostly excited about what the future holds and just hope it doesn't put anyone out of pocket in the process!

admin
admin
@ptmembership
7 months ago
408 posts

Also, yes I reckon hating on AI is mostly fear of change and brainwashing from films, although Sam Harris and others do make compelling arguments about the possible threat to humanity! It's fascinating to watch where people are embracing it though, e.g. on social media with AI instagram accounts and influencers now! Will we ever go to watch AI DJs play? (Probably not if they're playing the Tech House you linked above, although it isn't that bad and is likely to get much better.) Seriously though, I think we need other humans to idolise for the most part wink-1

updated by @ptmembership: 11/04/23 04:28:57PM
Menace
Menace
@menace
7 months ago
5 posts

My main fear of AI is disinformation to be honest.

smillington
@smillington
6 months ago
101 posts

I just did an experiment - typed a draft message and then put it in chat GPT and it expressed a much more cohesive version of my point:

"A close friend of mine, a seasoned musician, harbors genuine concerns regarding the future of his work in film, TV, and advertising production. He fears that a growing indifference toward the essence of music, where it's often relegated to an afterthought, may lead to the proliferation of synthetic AI-generated compositions, potentially jeopardizing the livelihood of human musicians.

Part of me shares his apprehension as I strive to enhance my skills in the hope of securing a future income. The fear looms that technological advancements could outpace my progress, leaving me perpetually trailing behind and unable to seize a niche in the industry.

Nonetheless, irrespective of the professional prospects, the personal gratification derived from the countless hours invested in honing my musical craft and expanding my knowledge remains invaluable.

Furthermore, I hold the conviction that computers are far from attaining the intuitive, nuanced decision-making capabilities of a finely-tuned human mind in the creation of exceptional music tracks. In conclusion, it is my belief that opportunities in the music industry will persist, albeit potentially becoming scarcer as computer-generated compositions become more accessible and cost-effective."

So I think I will use it again, but dont feel I cheated as the points made in the AI created note express the my own intent

admin
admin
@ptmembership
6 months ago
408 posts

It's a good use of ChatGPT. I like this bit...

"Nonetheless, irrespective of the professional prospects, the personal gratification derived from the countless hours invested in honing my musical craft and expanding my knowledge remains invaluable."

So true!

Plus the last paragraph aligns with my feelings moreorless. Although maybe we're giving our species too much credit! Perhaps the aspects of music that we might consider to be "human" are mostly just mechanistic emotional responses that can just as easily be learned by AI, and the formulaic nature of music theory could then be connected to this understanding in vivid detail to produce music of a deeply evocative nature. My point really is just that our emotions feel like the most human part of us but yet are in some way the most robotic.

updated by @ptmembership: 11/12/23 05:11:39PM
SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
6 months ago
228 posts

Hey - thanks for all your feedback. really interesting to hear your thoughts. It's easy to get a bit panicky about AI nowadays - it seems that several things now are threatening to end the world at any moment - but I assume human's have alwasy thought thism no matter what time period!

That being said, AI's effect on music will undoubtably be significant. Rob, your point about Youtuber's for example using AI to create library music for videos - that seems to me to be genuinely positive - especially for young, up and comers with a low budget. However, it is still a good symbiotic relationship when youtubers use real musicians music - both benefit. With AI involved that wouldn't be the case - but most musicians I imagine wouldn't rely solely on being YT background music! Maybe...

RE AI DJ's, with the advent of the Metaverse and virtual DJing to virtual crowds, I can't see AI DJ's being too far off, perhaps even to the point where AI is indistinguishable to humans! 

Re Smillington - I think you're right - there will always be a section of society who view Music purely as either a product or a means to an end to improve an ad (see; Music Industry execs lol) - but we musicians should just use this as more fuel to the fire to keep making original, human, organic music!

Thanks for your input all

SamuelClouston
SamuelClouston
@samuelclouston
6 months ago
228 posts

Apparently this is completely AI generated. Don't know how many Drake fans here, but his voice is pretty similar. The Weeknd's more obvious though. Very simple track though, so easy to imitate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZ2ie2ErFI

Tags

Dislike 0