Comparing Tracks

jezharris
@jezharris
last year
18 posts

Hi, there was a tutorial/livestream some time ago and I can't seem to find it about comparing a reference track to your own productions and making adjustments, can anyone help find it? Or maybe there is a module in a course on this that might be useful? Cheers

updated by @jezharris: 04/08/23 09:58:36PM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
last year
408 posts

Good question! I think it was covered in a livestream a while back. I'd have to look through.... we could also take a look at that in tnext week's one potentially... 

Course-wise, I know Iain Bland (Maison Records) looks at that in a few of his House courses...

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

Not sure about which tutorial it may be...

1. Get a great waveform visualizer

2. Grab your reference track and play it! And it better be the BEST quality possible, a lossless .WAV or Apple's equivalent. Best option is to buy a SACD (used mostly... Super Audio Compact Disc, another lost format), or online from someone that specifically sells lossless audio files (don't skip this step).

For rock, you can't do better than a remastered "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by YES (do I like that song? not really... but the mix is perfect). For Dance/House: "American Dream" by Jakatta (same reason). Jazz/Ballad/Vocal heavy: "Black Crow" by Diana Krall (a perfect song...)   

3. Analyze it... peaks, width, consistency with style of music, balance... I could go on for hours. But, that's what it takes. Hours spent with ears open. And then going to listen to the same song on mp3, vinyl, cassette if it were possible... perfect reference headphones (Sony MDR7506) and shitty dime store emergency earbuds... what's there and what's lost? Learning how to hear the difference is INVALUABLE. Can't stress that enough.  

or

Get IZotope mastering software, watch guide on applying reference tracks, learn how and why the software works, and apply. Monthly $$, purchasing the software... $$$$

Sort of a PtP shortcut. 

jezharris
@jezharris
last year
18 posts

Cheers, can anyone recommend a cheap or free waveform visualiser?

jezharris
@jezharris
last year
18 posts

[quote="admin"]

Good question! I think it was covered in a livestream a while back. I'd have to look through.... we could also take a look at that in tnext week's one potentially... 

Course-wise, I know Iain Bland (Maison Records) looks at that in a few of his House courses...

[/quote]

That would be great to go over this again thank you, I'll check out the course module

betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

Check what comes with you DAW. Reaper has a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope under JS-  but Reaper has a steep learning curve if you are new. Some DAW's come with some form of imaging analysis software.

If you invest in IZotope, they have AudioLens (comes bundled with other tools is the best way). Reference tracks are already loaded, and you can add any you want for comparison.

I know there are a number of freeware pieces out there that can do this, but I have no experience with them. This is a good start though.... learn Stereo Imaging first, then move to full spectrum analysis using a detailed multiband EQ, and then into spatial audio (ie. ATMOS). That's a three step course plan that will make you a pro.

https://www.flux.audio/project/stereo-tool-freeware/

https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/mastering/what-is-stereo-imaging.php

updated by @betterledproductions: 04/11/23 07:35:41PM
betterledproductions
@betterledproductions
last year
47 posts

I take that back... I forgot this was in Rob's library

https://www.producertech.com/staff-picks/59/complete-guide-to-stereo-width

Start there. (My apologies Rob)

Tags

Dislike 0