Clip to Zero Review Request

NickG
NickG
@nickg
2 years ago
4 posts
There is a Artist/Youtuber (Baphometrix) running a series of tutorials on a technique dubbed Clip To Zero. Essentially using specific clippers and/or DMG Track Limit across all tracks and groups to achieve close to commercial loudness in the mix. Lots of little clips across the mix rather than smashing everything through a single master clipper. The whole process is meant to take a lot of the heavy lifting off the master chain

It would be helpful to get Producertech’s thoughts on this process. Is it genuinely better than a more traditional mixing/mastering approach? Technically, are the explanations why you don’t have oversample the specific plugins used valid? Or does the process just introduce a whole load of digital distortion and aliasing? It looks good but I don’t have the technical knowledge to assess it

The whole process is described across multiple long videos but there is a well written guide linked under this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNW9teSo38

Thanks for any guidance on this
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
2 years ago
127 posts
I'll have to check that out. Seppa might be more the one to ask about this, being more the loud Bass Music producer. I'll bring it to his attention. Looking interesting though... I'll let you know my thoughts too...
NickG
NickG
@nickg
2 years ago
4 posts
Thanks Rob, appreciate that. I tend towards the more melodic Anjunadeep style of track and so it wouldn’t work if it only supports the hyper loud genres. However, the producer behind the videos suggests it should work across electronic genres
nufferzzz
@nufferzzz
2 years ago
30 posts
Just came across Baphometrix a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking into what he's saying. Heard Rob mention this post on yesterday's stream. Interesting ideas.
NickG
NickG
@nickg
2 years ago
4 posts
@nufferzz I missed the stream this week. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check if there is a replay
RobJones
RobJones
@robjones
2 years ago
127 posts
There is a replay (past livestreams). I didn't go into it though Nick, just mentioned it. I will go into it more on the next stream, when I'm making my DnB remix (next week)... see how much fatter we can make it. As a general rule though, I'm into the concept. It's already what most Bass Music producers do moreorless, e.g. limiting the bass, drum buss... etc. and it certainly spreads the load, which is always a good idea in production in any case. In other words, not putting too much pressure on a few effects that are doing all the work, but sharing the work between a number of different effects instead. And if you're using good effects like DMG ones, and using them correctly, so not overdoing it, it's not going to add any noticeable digital artefacts or anything.

Tags

Dislike 0