Succession Theory Deep Dive Tutorial

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
405 posts

Hey y'all! 

For anyone in need of help in the theory side of things, there's a new bonus tutorial this week in the form of a masterclass looking at the harmony in Succession. A little bit different from our usual stuff, working with a keyboard, but plenty in there for producers of all levels!

Check the vid in the Bonus Tutorials section HERE.

Here's a guide to the different sections too, in case you want to skip past the first bits (if your already confident with the music theory basics).

0.00-1.06 = Intro

1.06-6.53 = Minor Keys and Scales

6.53-16.47 = Triads (Diatonic Chords)

16.47-23.14 = Seventh Chords (Major/Minor/Dominant)

23.14-31.50 = Succession Chord Sequence (i-VI-iib5-V)

31.50-40.08 = Trying out New Chords

40.08-46.50 = Summary and Wrap up

Enjoy! happy-6

Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
46 posts

OK, I have to ask now ... because I had this figured out as C harmonic minor, with the chord progression as Cm Ab Fm6 G ... (harmonic minor uses B rather than Bb as in natural minor)

The melody includes a couple passing notes not in scale either way as far as I can tell, and all notes kind of fits both Fm6 and Ddim, so not sure if it's important at all, just wondering if I'm thinking wrong here ...? 

admin
admin
@ptmembership
2 months ago
405 posts

It works with F too basically. Officially (and according to the composer) it's a ii diminished, but having the C in the chord (F Ab C in F minor) and omitting the D causes no real problems harmonically! If you play the ii(b5)7 chord I recommend at the end of the video btw that has F Ab C and D in, you'd be covering all bases there!

updated by @ptmembership: 02/20/24 04:45:27PM
Petter
Petter
@petter
2 months ago
46 posts

Alright. This is probably a bit over my head still, but working on something quite interesting. Have no idea if it's gonna sound good yet ... there's a lot of strange harmonics in it, and I'm not at all certain I get it right creepy

Tags

Dislike 0