Low-end too "Boomy"

Rhale
Rhale
@rhale
3 years ago
6 posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to ProducerTech and I'm already seeing awesome material to improve my production level. I've been producing music for a few years but I keep having the same problem which haven't been able to figure out. At first I thought it was a monitoring issue, I treated the room, got studio monitors but that didn't help, now I try to use a combination of headphones and monitors to check my low-end but... I keep making the same mistake.

What are the things you can do to make sure your mixdown doesn't sound too"boomy"
admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 years ago
438 posts
Welcome! Good question. Generally, EQ is the way! You have to be really strict with the low frequencies on all sounds, cutting it out completely where necessary. And on the bass sounds, you need to listen to the fundamentals that are required and remove any that are muddying the sound. Adam Goodlet demonstrated this really well on last night's livestream using Vital Synth as it allows you to edit the harmonics of a waveform. He showed how drastically reducing the 2nd and 3rd harmonics got rid of the wooden and boxy bass frequencies that really cleaned up the sound, so even bass sounds need to be EQ'd carefully to keep things clean. Having too many of those loud and unwanted bass frequencies in a mix will make the track boomy and lacking in clarity. We could maybe try and demonstrate this in next week's livestream.....
Rhale
Rhale
@rhale
3 years ago
6 posts
I know... That's the problem, I don't think I'm doing a good job removing those frequencies and I completely missed out on the livestream. Is it available to watch? Thanks!
admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 years ago
438 posts
Yes, it's on the livestreams page (past streams) - click LIVESTREAMS on the menu above. We thought it would be a good thing to focus on though, as the low end is so important, so there'll be some new tutorials on 'low end tightening' coming this week.... watch this space!
updated by @ptmembership: 11/10/21 11:24:29AM
admin
admin
@ptmembership
3 years ago
438 posts
Check the new Low End tightening tutorial in the Bonus Tutorials section for some tips on mastering Bass frequencies.... one of the main culprits for cloudy or woolly mixes when it's not tended too.
updated by @ptmembership: 11/14/21 11:01:28PM

Tags

Dislike 0